Food for thought.

Memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.

I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.

A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.

I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.

The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

Friday, June 9, 2017

A new quilter is born.....

Not only in talent, but in heart, too. 

My friends granddaughter has been crafting with her for years and doing some sewing, too.  This year she has been periodically making quilt blocks and yesterday she decided she wanted to put them all together.  

Her reasoning for finally putting them together is that Kaitlyn's friend's dad passed away and Kaitlyn wanted to give this quilt to her.  Now....isn't that the way of all quilters?

Anyways, I got this quilt this morning with  a "rush" on it.  Her grandma decided on the "daisies galore" panto.  So, I got right to it.  

As usual, Nancy (my friend) has the best taste in backings.

How perfect is this backing for this quilt?

All fabrics were chosen from Kaitlyn's grandma's stash (she has a great stash!) and I think she did a wonderful job on her blocks.  I love the modern look of this quilt. 

I think her friend is going to be very touched by this wonderful gift.  

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

100 percent STASH

All five charity baby quilts are complete.

100% from the stash.

Four from a layer cake.

One from leftovers from a previous quilt.

Additional fabrics for the tops from the stash.

Backings from the stash.

Batting from my long arming stash.

I quilted four of them with "Angel Wings" and one with "Venice" (pantos)

Bindings ......three made from stash fabric......

one made from the left overs from the backing......

  one was a binding that got misplaced from a baby quilt made years ago and then was found AFTER that quilt was finished. 

 It's  a little brighter dot fabric than a couple of the backings, but I think it works and there was plenty for the binding with just about  6" left over, so it was meant to be.  

What a great feeling to work from the stash.

Better quilts to be donated to a local hospital.

While all this hand stitching of bindings was going on today, I was washing and re-washing the Cherrywood fabric (hand dyed) that will be the background for the Hearts and Hands.  Three times through the washer with an extra fourth rinse just for good measure.  The 13 yards just needs to be pressed and then I am ready to start cutting and getting Hearts and Hands going again (Phase II).

Stay tuned!

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Bits and pieces.....

Just a quick catch up on what's been happening here.  

I just took three of the five charity baby quilts off the Millie.  I had a four yard piece of fabric that I found in the stash and to utilize it the best, I loaded one quilt after another as I was quilting.  

There are three bindings ready and waiting, so these will be done soon. 

Hopefully, I will get to the last two charity quilts tomorrow.

Then yesterday, I took a day-long class with Lenore Crawford and came home with this. 

There is still some stitching and painting that needs to take place on this project before it is finished, but I am really pleased with it so far.  

There are 13 yards of Cherrywood fabric that need to be washed with Synthropal, so that will be taking place in the next day or two and then I will be back at the Hearts and Hands project.

I am trying not to get involved in too many projects at the same time right now.  It feels much better when you can get something done and off the list of things to do, so that is the way I am trying to work right now.