Food for thought.

Memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Green giraffes and alligators.....

Needed to hunt through my stash  to find a binding that would go well for this quilt.  I so did not need or want to run to the quilt shop for this. 
On looking through my solids bin, I came across a great green that matched the giraffes and alligators....aka....Kona Cotton's  "Melon".
Now the binding is on this quilt which makes this quilt done.
.....and I managed to do this during and after getting three double batches of Christmas cookies done today....which I might add, I had no intention of doing.....but daughter #2 said she wanted to come over and bake cookies and daughter #1 who has had the flu all week was complaining that she wasn't going to have time to bake any for the boys, I thought...."oh, what the heck".  We don't need cookies here, but I made several dozen and sent some off to DD#1 while DD#2 took hers home.  We have a few and will eat them sparingly. 
Hope you are getting all your Christmas preparations done!  Thanks for stopping by. 

Friday, December 19, 2014

I must have things under control......

Never in a million years would I think I would have time to work on a quilt a few days before Christmas's not even FOR Christmas. 
Either I am forgetting to do something or I have things under control.
I just took this piece of fabric off the long arm.
I have had this in the closet for a very long time. 
It's a Windham Fabrics.
It would be interesting to find out just how old this fabric is. 
I watched a video on YouTube  called "loopy clams" and that is the pattern I used on this quilt.  It is a free motion E2E (edge to edge).  Really pretty easy to do. 
I backed it in white minky.  (Yes, I am getting very comfortable using minky).
It really shows up the quilting nicely....AND....feels so soft and cuddly. 
Now I have to hunt up some fabric to make the binding and this will be added to the pile of quilts that are finished. 
Hmmmm...I wonder if I have some yellow dot fabric.  Maybe I will just have to make a run to the quilt store.  Heaven forbid!!!

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Had some time the other day.....

so got out some linen/cotton blend fabric and quilted it on the long arm, did some stitching at the sewing machine and came up with this.
This is what I will be using as the "wrap" for my secret Santa gift at work. 
Hope she likes it. 
She received her gift today (December 18) and loved the stocking more than the packages inside.  Said she always wanted something quilted.  I am a happy camper. 

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Done and outta here.

427" of binding machine stitched to the front and then flipped over and hand stitched to the back and made a label, too.
Called my customer and she was here in less than 30 minutes. 
She loves it!
I'm happy.....and this was all done in plenty of time for Christmas. 
Now I can breathe and get my house decorated. 
Then?  What's next?  I'll have to decide, but it will most likely be for me. 
If you have decorated for the holidays already.....good for you.
If you haven't....have fun and then enjoy. 

Saturday, November 29, 2014

T-shirt quilt off the long arm

I fretted about doing this customer quilt as I had never done a t-shirt quilt AND I was going to back it with the dreaded minky.  Even though I had used minky recently on a baby quilt which worked out great.....this was KING SIZED!!!
I used a medium sized meander.
Here's a shot at the minky backing.
Here's the completed top....all 92 x 122" of it!!!
I used a silver So Fine thread for the top and an Aurifil purple for the bobbin with a very thin Mountain Mist poly batt.   
Well,  I can now say for sure, working with minky is NOT a problem and T-shirt quilts aren't any harder than any other quilt.  I am pretty happy with how it turned out and I am sure my customer will be just as happy. 
Now, I have to bind it.  So, I guess I won't mind if it gets really cold out while I am doing this as it is going to keep me plenty warm while it is in my lap as I  hand stitch down the binding. 
If you don't hear from me for a few days, I will probably be hibernating under this quilt with needle and thread in hand. 

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Monkey business......

That's not turkey stuffing.

 You've been mooned!

Monkey-ing around
All ready for Christmas.