Monday, May 31, 2021

Another really old UFO......

Yes, I am still working on really old  UFOs.  I guess that is a good thing.  It does feel good to check it off the list.  

This one has been sitting in a bag on my sewing table for a few months because I did pull it out a few months ago when I was on a roll getting things done, but I stopped just before getting to this one.  

Here's where I started. 


The beige corners are not attached at this point.  

Let me start by saying that several years ago, my sister-in-law and I were in a quilting group and we participated in a 9-patch block exchange.  The blocks had to be 6 1/2" unfinished and we were to use Robyn Pandolph fabrics only.  I love her fabrics!  

This all took place around 2004.

In 2014, my sister-in-law finally put her quilt together and I quilted it for her.  You can see her  9-patch quilt here.  I loved her quilt so much; and since I had 133 blocks!, I thought I would replicate her quilt which I did shortly after doing her quilt.  

As you can see from the above picture, my original plan was a little more complicated and I think that is what held me off from doing that particular quilt.  

Anyways, after doing the 9-patch quilt, I still had plenty of 9-patches left over and that is after donating the ones that weren't made to the correct size or some gals started introducing other fabrics into the  stash because they didn't want to go out and buy more of Robyn's fabric (although at the time, I couldn't get enough of her fabric).  

So, back to 2021, my goal was to finish what I really wanted to do in the first place.  

My inspiration for this quilt was in this magazine, June 2001.



Knowing I had enough 9-patches to make this quilt (less the numerous baskets on the outer border) and the fact that I had to order a couple small pieces of Robin Pandolph fabric from Etsy .....now considered vintage),  I was now determined to get this one done.  

Next step was to add to the setting corners but had  to make them large enough.  

First a green strip.


Then a peach dot.


Corners are now added.  

I then added a strip all the way around in a creamy mottled fabric.


Then comes the last of the 9-patches.  In fact, I only have one left of the 133 that I originally started with.  To make them fit each side, the center 9-patch has a strip on either side to compensate for the discrepancy in size.


One more creamy border to hold in all those 9-patch seams.


Now, instead of doing all those baskets that are in the original pattern (hst are my least favorite things to do anyways), I have one fairly large piece of Robyn's fabric  that I am contemplating using.  Here I just have it auditioning as I have to do some figuring to make sure  I have enough to go all the way around the quilt.  



I have enough!



I have to admit that I am really excited to finally get this one done.  I love the fabric, I  love the center basket and I am already envisioning quilting ideas when I custom quilt this one.  For now, it's going on the to-be-quilted pile since I don't have a backing.  It probably won't be Robyn's fabric since everything I can find for her are in small allotments, but I will make sure it is pretty and I don't  think I will have a hard time finding a solid, maybe grunge, color fabric to bind the quilt in.  

hmmmm....what to work on next.  I don't think it will be a 20 year old UFO though.  Maybe something a little newer as I need to change things up a bit.  

1 comment:

It wasn't my plan.....

My original plan for today was to get batting cut out for three of my own quilts and maybe about four charity quilts for the guild. Of cours...