Sunday, February 21, 2021

How do you choose colors for a quilt?

When it comes to choosing colors for a quilt, I am sure there are many ways each of us go about it. You may fall in love with a particular fabric and  just have to use it in a quilt so you go from there.....or you fall in love with a designers palette and want to use them all......or you just open up the stash and start pulling for a scrappy quilt.  There are so many ways.

I was recently commissioned to make a quilt for my daughter-in-law (who doesn't quilt, but someday maybe I will get her sitting at the sewing machine) so that she could give a friend a baby quilt for her upcoming shower.

This is how she decided on her palette.  


She took a picture of the baby-to-be's (we knew it was going to be a boy) closet.  Mom was so excited about having a baby that she was out shopping long before her shower.  So Janelle, my daughter-in-law, figured these were definitely colors that the mom like.

We went shopping and this is what we chose.



The pattern used is called Simple Diamonds from Missouri Star Quilt Co.  You can find the pattern here,  

I did make a few minor adjustments  to the pattern so that we could keep the quilt to about 50x60 thus allowing Janelle to order from Hawthorne Supply Co.  so she could buy a wide enough back so that I didn't have to piece it AND it is just the right size for a toddler type quilt so the baby can grow with this quilt.  


It was  a couple rows shorter in diamonds and the two borders are narrower.

She then showed me a picture of a Chanel purse that had that quilted design and asked if I could quilt the baby quilt in the same manner.

So I chose the Diagonal Plaid pantograph and I was all set to go.  








Here you can see the cute arrow fabric she chose for the backing.   

 


I bound the quilt in the same fabric as the last border.  Sorry I didn't take a final picture, but you get the gist of it.  

The quilt was gifted yesterday and mom-to-be and family loved it.  That always makes for a good feeling.  

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. great way to select a palette! very cute pattern. The new mom and baby will love it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...