Saturday, July 2, 2022

No Good Reason

As I have mentioned before, there have been five of my quilts that I keep setting aside because I wanted to do custom quilting on them.  They take a lot of thought and a lot of time, so when you are doing customer quilts, my quilts (especially custom quilts) get set to the side and sometimes for a very long time.  Probably the best way to describe that is procrastination.  

Well, I took off two months, last month and this month, to devote to these quilts when I have the time.....since summer is so busy.

The first one got done because I was under pressure to get it done for a guild presentation.  The next one is  my Diamond Detour.    


In my head I had a plan on how I wanted to get this one quilted (custom), but upon opening it up after .....at least five years!......it was bigger than I remember it.  There went my idea for quilting it.  The size, the direction I had to place it on the longarm because of seaming on the backing  just didn't make that idea conducive to getting this one quilted custom the way I wanted.    

Now what?

I loaded the quilt in anticipation for when I was ready to get to it, it was ready for me.  I went through my pantographs and made a decision to do one called Cha Cha.  

A few days went by , but then I had a dream and I envisioned this quilt done with the Time Warp panto.  I wasn't even thinking about the quilt, so I don't know why this came about in a dream, but once I had this dream, I knew this was the direction I wanted to go.  



I am so pleased with how it turned out.  When it comes to customer quilts, I often suggest curves when there are hard lines to the quilt.  Don't know why I don't take my own advice sometimes.  

This one is quilted using a yellow Glide thread on top and since I like using Fil-tec prewounds with my Glide, I chose a gold bobbin.  


It's done and in no time at all.  If I had done custom, it may have been on the longarm for a few days.  

Now, normally I have my binding cut out once the quilt is cut out, but I don't find one sitting around here.  Then again, I may have thought that I could easily find a matching Kona solid and cut my binding from that.  Guess that's what I will be doing. 

Time to get the next custom quilt loaded onto the machine so it is ready for me when I have a slot of time to get to it.  This one will definitely be custom as there is plenty of space for feathers (which I love to do) and lots of other designs.  

Three more to get done before the end of July, but I will be happy if I get two more done and just maybe get that last one loaded on the machine.  #5 is my most daunting quilt, yet not my oldest quilt.  

Wish me luck.   

1 comment:

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...