Thursday, August 29, 2019

SQUIRREL!!!! (organization of the charity room)

It's time to get the "charity room" organized prior to the first guild meeting starting next month.  
If you remember, I am taking over as Charity Chairperson for the guild and ALL the fabric was brought to my house.  We prepped a room by cleaning it out, painting, putting in a cutting table (old kitchen island) and made a big board for ironing some of the fabric as needed.

So this is where I started on Friday.

Day 1





After looking at those pictures once I have been in that room for almost 8 hours, I am thinking it was pretty neat.  It's not now!

My goal is to touch each piece of fabric and get it organized into "like" piles.





Sounded like a good plan, except when you have to empty ALL the bins before you can start putting it all back together organized.


It's getting worse by the minute.



Oh heck......squirrel!   

I found something that would make a cute pillowcase kit, so I had to iron that and cut it out.


I can't be doing that all day or nothing else will get done., but I couldn't resist.  Those fabrics were just calling my name.

I did get the solids organized.


I may have to lay the fabrics down in the bins ; otherwise, they aren't going to stay as neat as I had hoped.  

I, also, got the plaids in a bin, but couldn't lay my bin down so that the fabrics could be seen easily.  I'll have to see what I can do about that.  

But that's it for tonight.  I am bushed and it was really getting hard to move around in there.  So I will save the rest for another day.  At least it is headway.  One more day and it will be done and ready to start making kits, although I think I counted 27 kits left over from the previous gal

Day 2.....

Did I say one more day?  NOT....

I worked  several  more hours.  I took a lot of the fabric off the cardboard holders because I felt I could fit more fabric on a shelf without them; I refolded several pieces (yardage) of the fabric because whoever had them before folded them inside out (?);  started stacking the shelves; cut a couple more pillowcases (just because).....



Here's where I stand at the end of day two.







I'm getting there.   

Dare I say one more day?

Yeah!  Day 3 was short.

It's all put where it belongs.  I can move in there, Everything is much neater and organized.  That's the way I like it.

Here's a little tour of the finished project.

First the whites/ivories went from this to this.







All ready to iron.



There is still a bin of pre-made kits from the previous committee, but my committee and I will be going through those later this week.   I am just happy that all the fabric is organized and now  a day or two can be called my own and I can  do something for myself before the committee shows up this weekend to starting moving forward full steam ahead.

There is a UFO that will be completed within those couple  days  of me time and I am anxious to get it done and share it with you.  

Well, thanks for coming on the tour.  I'll share what we produce from  someone else's stash.  I don't foresee it to be like working from your own, but that's the challenge.  

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That IS a lot of fabric! You did a great job getting it all organized. Can't wait to see what projects are made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to your incredible knitting skills and long arm quilting, your resume can include “fabric organizer” - that is a lot of work you have accomplished but all the effort sure pays off as your committee jumps in to begin charity quilt work. Oh - and are you available for hire??? That pillowcase that got you sidetracked is adorable - I can see how it just had to get done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faye, I notice quite a few cute juvenile prints there. I have made several quilts from Mary Quilts.com, Go to this site and she has directions for many simple quilts. The one I make the most is her Quick Strippie. Easy to cut, package and her patterns are free - not to be sold. You can check with her - she is very good getting back to me. She does travel quite a bit, but she will respond to you. She is familiar with my name. She has a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,

      Yes, there are a LOT of kid prints.

      I visited Mary's site and it is a great source for some easy type quilts. Thanks so much. I have sent her site along to my committee as we are just now getting some new kits together. Thank you so much.

      Faye P.S. I would have loved to respond to you personally, but you are a "no reply" commenter.

      Delete
  4. OMG...stopped in to see what was up with you and wow! What great progress and you sure were busy. What a big difference and nice job....not easy sorting but find once started it is much easier to go thru. Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faye, how do I change that? Glad you enjoyed her site. She does tons of charity quilts, afghans etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to Blogger, then your profile. Edit profile; check that your e-mail is the correct one and then go to privacy and click on show my email address; save. That should do it.

      Delete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...