Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Becoming Chairman

This next year(s) for our guild, I have decided to take over the chairman position for our charity group.  

This not only entails putting together kits for charity quilts and various other activities, but housing all the donated fabrics that the guild  takes in.

So for the last couple of weeks, we have been converting what used to be my son's bedroom which later turned into the grandkids toy room/storage room into a room that will house all the fabric, kits, etc.  This room is just off the bigger portion of the basement where my long arm is located.



So, we have cleared out tons of toys, junk and clothes.  The next step was to paint just to give it a fresh look.  I have decided to keep one bookcase that will house bolts of fabric (or that is the plan so far).  It is tucked into a cubbyhole in the room that used to have a desk when it was  my son's room.

\

We purchased two IKEA lamps so that we have "daylight" light in there to see our fabrics well.
Here you see one of those lights.

The second light is attached to what used to be my old kitchen island that my DH put legs on.  He was going to use it in his workroom, but this will serve me well for a cutting table.


On a larger wall, there will be a shelving unit that will come along with the fabric, so I don't know how big that is until I pick up the fabric which should be tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Also, we bought a new  LED ceiling light. What with the cubbyhole, only a basement window  and the basement beam running through that room, I needed as much light as I could get in there.

The most exciting thing so far in there is the "big board" my DH and I put together this afternoon.  I have had this antique ironing board for a very long time and DH has threatened to get rid of it because I wasn't using it.  I'm so glad I hung on to it because now it is coming in handy.

Anyways,  we applied some home dec fabric and a couple layers of cotton batt to a 1/2" thick  piece of finished plywood.


I had DH put some braces underneath the board that would contain the ironing board.  That way the board won't slip off.  This side was for the pointy end and the other end is squared off for the wider end of the ironing board.  


My home dec fabric was a Kelly Ripa line of fabric.  Ha!  I didn't know she had a line of fabric.


Here it is on the antique ironing board.  This will make pressing yardage so much easier. 


Well, if all goes well, fabric will be picked up tomorrow.  We'll see if this room is big enough for the stash the guild has.  

Then it's coming up with ideas for some pretty, but easy quilt kits for the members to do for charity.  

If you have any ideas, please feel free to share them with me.  

1 comment:

  1. Fabric Cafe has some books to make quick quilts from three one yard pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...