Thursday, June 13, 2019

Guild's charity challenge.

At our January 2019 meeting, we were given a packet of six fat quarters (all donations from a member that had passed away and her stash was given to the guild to use as they saw fit).



With these six fat quarters, we were to make a quilt for ourselves or for charity. 

I didn't use the focus fabrics as I could not see a good correlation with these bright fabrics, but that wasn't required. (one of them was a dull blue and the other one had too wide of stripes to work well with the size blocks I was cutting).

The quilt top/or finished quilt was to be completed by the June meeting were we would receive points pertaining to certain achievements.  The list below shows the point system that was going to be followed when we turned our quilts in at the June meeting.  The one with the most points will win a prize.      



 At that meeting, the quilts/quilt tops will be brought to the guild for judging by the members and  voted on.   

I immediately took my six fats and ran to the quilt shop and bought six fats of white/black prints to coordinate with the brights. Added a couple fabrics from my stash to replace the two that I didn't use, too.   I looked on YouTube for a good pattern idea on what to do with fat quarters and this is the pattern that I found.  

Here is the center of my quilt so far.


It is February now and I did another run to the quilt shop to buy a solid for an inner border and another piece of white/black fabric for an outer border.

Here's my finished top.


Here's a couple close ups of the two borders just added.



There is a solid white backing that I pieced this afternoon along with a black binding already for the day when I get to stitch it on.

Now to see when I get around to getting this thing quilted.  My hope is that  I will have it done early so that I am not pushing at the last minute to get it done (I know me though).

It's early April and I finally got this on the long arm.  I was having some tension issues with my machine and didn't want to do a customer quilt until I had this fixed. So.....I monkeyed around with the tension until I finally had it just right.  





It's coming out great.  

I am using the panto called "Azalea".  It is a bit labor  intensive, but with all the curves, it gives good stitch coverage for the quilt top.  Also, the back is coming out so well that it looks good enough to be considered a whole cloth.

This is the picture I shared on Instagram only because I loved the texture it produced AND it didn't disclose the quilt ahead of time.


Next comes the binding.

Here we are in mid April and the binding is done along with a guild label as I will be donating this one as a charity quilt.  



Now I can relax until June....at least for this project.  So glad I am ahead of the game for a change.  

June 4....tap, tap, tap.

Getting anxious to show my quilt at next weeks guild meeting.

June 13...….

Show and vote day!

The winner for our challenge was my friend Nancy with her "Girlfriends" quilt.....well deserved.


It was so adorable.

If you are up to seeing all the rest of the challenge quilts, they are as follows.....

















This posies quilt is Sharon's (my friend).  Love it.  






I hope I didn't miss any, but I was impressed with the number of people that participated and did a beautiful job in make some fantastic quilts.  

Now back to posting at regular intervals. It was hard hanging on to the post for six months!  I usually can't keep a secret that long!









1 comment:

  1. That is a remarkable turn out for challenge quilts - well done and obviously each one had a lot of thought going into it. Like the swirly print fabric you used in the border and the Girlfriends quilt is so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...