Wednesday, May 1, 2019

What's up next?

I am once again participating in the "One Thing Challenge" with "AmysCreativeSide" on Instagram.  Made it just under the wire last week with my pixelated heart quilt. 

This week on Monday I posted that I wanted to tackle the 480 half square triangles that needed trimming/squaring up.  Seemed like such a daunting, boring, tedious job.


One good thing is that they were already pressed.


That helped.

Well, I did manage to get them all trimmed using my Bloc-Loc ruler.  Where has this ruler been all my life?  It worked like a charm.  Too bad it couldn't trim 480 blocks all by itself though.



Now these HST will be made into  opposing pairs as you can see at the bottom of the above picture.

So I commenced sewing pairs together.

I had to laugh at how neatly my pairs were falling from the machine as I chain stitched.


If I had tried to do this, I couldn't.

Once the first 120 pairs were done, I used my trusty stationary seam ripper to cut them apart.

Another tool that I couldn't live without.

Then it was to repeat the next 120 that laid in the opposite direction.

Now, I am ready to start stitching one quarter of the block.


All quarters are the same.  You just have to twist this quarter four times to get the whole block.

I have made four complete blocks so that I can see how the quilt is really going to look.



From here on out, I am only going to make the quarter block until I have used up all the bits.

Then...…

I can start assembling the Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Hunter Star quilt.  

I guess I won't be saving this one for a retreat.  With a little time to sit at the sewing machine, it won't take long to get this top done.

I really want to get to this done now and move on to something new.  It's been awhile since I have made such a large quilt let alone with SOOOOO many pieces.

So, stay tuned for the finished top.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...