Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Really! Like I don't have enough projects to work on.....

What do I do instead?

I hop on the bandwagon at guild and participate in a mystery quilt.  I have NEVER done a mystery quilt, so right off the bat I am having anxiety about what fabrics to use even though we were told lights, mediums and darks.  For me that is way too open of a field.

I did have a pile of left over fabrics from another quilt that I have been wanting to use, so I went with most of them.




Here are the two blocks that were required for the quilt.



They made up this star.


My goodness, that original quilt was made in  2012.  I wouldn't have thought it was that long ago.
 You can see the original  Sun Washed quilt here.

Here is the finished quilt top done in less than one week.


I eeked out those borders and will piece the backing in the gray with white pin dots for the backing.  Since  my goal was to stash bust, this quilt fit the bill on that.  

I think in doing this mystery I realized that I may have a bit of OCD, since I needed "control" over what color went where and with a mystery quilt, you just don't know until it is too late.  It drove me a little crazy at first, but once I got into the groove, I am pretty happy with the way this turned out.  

Now back to my regular quilting.

I have been diligently working with some  forward progress on the Bonnie Hunter Hunter's Star quilt.

My HST all got trimmed and sewn into pairs.


and then quarter sections of the blocks were made.... (120)




then two quarter sections were sewn together.... (60 blocks)




and now all blocks are sewn together making 30 blocks total.

Here are four blocks together.


The plan is to have the top all put together this weekend when I take them to a guild sew-in.  Then I will have the big reveal.

One more thing......the silk hankies that I sent off to a spinner came back yesterday.

My royal blue/royal purple silk was spun with this gals' hand-dyed-for-me merino wool. It's the smaller of the two skeins.  Since that only produced about 200 yards, she dyed another 300 yards of the merino for me so that I have something substantial to work with when it comes to a project.  I love the color!


So today, I wound it into cakes and now I just have to decide on a pattern and/or maybe another color yarn to take me to  a nice sized shawl.


So, as you can see.....there is plenty for me to do.  Now to just stop taking on new projects so that I can get the ones done that are sitting around here fermenting and sometimes I think they are producing like rabbits.  Maybe someday I will get through that "list" of UFO's and finally be able to say I have nothing left to do......HAHA......go ahead....you can laugh with me.

4 comments:

  1. If you are anything like me, you will never get to the end of your UFOS! As I often tell hubby, I'll never run out of things to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! (Anonymous) Sharon here. This turned out beautifully. I really need to get to work on finishing up my units and assembling. It's such a cute little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not good at mystery quilts. I want to know what the end result will be before I start. I remember doing a small mystery quilt once and wishing I had used different placement of fabrics within the quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More stunning blue yarn - know you are doing a happy dance to be able to add more. I remember my first “mystery quilt” - you are right, it is a big jump for some of us...but the more I did it became freeing. One of the most rewarding projects was 3 brown bags...dark, medium, light scraps...what ever came out, got sewn in...no putting back. Loved the end result. Love seeing your very neat stacks of pieced blocks...you are definitely on a roll!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...