Saturday, May 19, 2018

Stashes

Stashes can be a good thing or they can be a bad thing.

It's always nice to be able to pull from your stash to make a quilt, but when that stash starts stressing you out.....what can I say?  Mine isn't really as big as a couple people I know 😏, but when there is stuff that has been in there forever and you don't really want to use it, don't like it anymore, it's not big enough for anything, doesn't go with anything else in the stash....well, you get the idea.    So, the last couple of years I have really been making an effort to make up some of my UFOs and use up some of the stash.

I just finished my Good'n'Plenty quilt.


This fabric had been sitting in my stash for a few years.  It was supposed to be made as a candy/candy bar challenge quilt (made from colors of a particular candy wrapper).  It is now bound and in the DONE pile.

Then today, I attended a sew-in with some of the gals from my guild.  I didn't know what to work on, so I took fabric that was left over from a couple projects (the ivory was cut in 3 1/2" x 14" strips already) and I found some leftover green from a different project  that was, also, cut in 3 1/2" strips and along with a large chunk (ABC print)  that was cut from a backing, I cut out 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangles and threw this one together for a charity baby quilt.


Here's a close up.


I needed more than just this to work on, so I still had plenty of the ivory in 3 1/2" strips, so I pulled a yard of baby safety pins and cut the whole yard up in 3 1/2" squares.  I was thinking I would have a nice sized baby quilt.  What happened was that I miscalculated and will end up with two baby quilts.

This one needs a couple more seams sewn to make the first quilt.




So there are 120 blocks in each quilt. All the rows are sewn together.  I think one will be charity and the other one I will keep for a future baby shower.
.
While at the sew-in today, I got some inspiration for a couple pieces of fabric that were in the stash.  My friend, Sharon, gave me a pattern and I came home to find all that I needed for this baby quilt. (that doesn't happen often) 

Here are my fabrics.


I'm thinking I will have this one cut out tomorrow, so I will save the reveal for when I have this top done.

So.....little by little, I am trying to make a dent in the stash.  Every little bit helps.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your Good & Plenty quilt! Congratulation on such a fun finish.
    Wonderful charity projects you are working on for babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder who those people with large stashes are?
    Love the baby quilt(s).
    (Anonymous) Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...