Skip to main content

Beyond the Cherry Trees Album Quilt is started.....

This is the BOM that I will be working on for some time to come I am sure. It is being offered over at Sentimental Stitches. Vicki over at  What a Load of Scrap blog was lucky enough to see this quilt in person and she took this picture. 

I just started what will be my first block and that is because I thought it was the easiest to work on. (Four blocks are now available.) What was I thinking? There were 12 flower petals and 18 leaves that need to be appliqued on this one. Not as easy as I thought. I should mention that I am doing my blocks very scrappy with scrappy backgrounds, too. I so wanted to do a red and green applique quilt.

Anyways, I have some greens picked out for the leaves. Not sure I will use the lighter greens, but I know some friends who would say "go for it", so I am going to give it a try. You can see the freezer paper pattern that I drew up so that I can use it to correctly place my pedals and leaves and the light box that I am using for this process is the extra insert that I got for my SewEzi table.

Here it is with my Ott light below for the light source. It worked out great. If you remember, I usually tape my stuff to the window which doesn't work well at night....when I am usually wanting to do something like this.

I do have to mention to you though that when I received my table for my Christmas gift, the wrong insert was sent to me for my machine. Now mind you, my machine wasn't listed on the available inserts for particular machines, but I e-mailed SewEzi and asked if they had it and they said yes, but the one they sent didn't fit. So with a couple emails, an e-mailed drawing for a template and some more readjusting at our end, they sent me a new one that fits perfectly..... all in less than two weeks. They were so courteous, quick to fix the problem and very helpful, and even though I think I may have been a guinea pig for a new machine that they didn't have a template for, I really can't complain. It fits great and as you can see my machine fits like a glove, so I am ready to go.
Well, I guess I am ready to go cut some green fabric and start on my leaves. Hopefully next post will be a completed block.


  1. That's nice that the problem with the table was taken care of promptly. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed first block of the BOM. Keep up the good work.

  2. I can't believe you have started another intricate applique quilt. But, if anyone can do it, you can. Your work is so gorgeous. You have inspired me to get back to some applique! Thanks!

  3. I was so tired I went to bed early last night, but not before I ck'd your blog to see if you had posted (you hadn't yet) because I KNEW you were going to post your day's work. And You Did!
    It's lovely. And I'd use all the different greens that I could, b'cuz it will give it the old-timey look that the origional has....But it's your should do your own thing!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!