Thursday, June 9, 2022

Round Robin of sorts.....

 Is it considered a Round Robin if you don't pass the quilt from person to person?  

Just prior to Covid, our guild put out a challenge to work on ...what I will call a Round Robin...that we kept in-house.  In other words, we worked on our own quilt from beginning to end.

We were to start out with any block, panel, embroidery or whatever.  I had been wanting to try this block and was thinking of making a whole quilt out of this one block, but after putting all these numerous pieces together, I am happy with just one block.  


The second  month we were to add 9-patches.  You could do regular or disappearing 9-patches.

Then it was half square triangles.

Next on the agenda was a snowball block.  Ok....I could already see this quilt was going to be much bigger than I really wanted, so what I did was made my snowball blocks and then cut them in half.

Our next border (or however you wanted to add it) was something with curves.  Well, I had a couple friends who were doing these circle blocks and I thought this would be a great time to give them a try and not have to make too many.  

Then lo and behold, the last border was applique.  Well, darn......I would have just done my circles for this row only, so instead I made more, but a little smaller.  

So, now this quilt has been languishing on my "to-be-quilted" pile for some time.  As a result of Covid restrictions and not many of our guild members meeting up when we DID  get together, this challenge kind of got forgotten.......until last month.

They want us all to bring in our challenge at our final meeting in June. 

Nothing like getting motivated to get this on the longarm and getting it done.  

I didn't know how I was going to quilt this one, but as usual, I just loaded it and then started making decisions.  Although I did put out some requests for ideas on how to quilt the dots.  I had to start there before I could go any further.  



The design I chose was the best since my dots did not line up with the next border making other designs amenable.

There was some featherwork in the snowballs and some loopu loops in some sashing.  

Straight line and echo quilting in and outside of  the half square triangles.



Paperclip design in another sashing.  

Cross hatching in the 9-patches.


Then to draw in some of the dots into the rest of the quilt, I did some shadow dots (texturized dots). This was something I found on a Youtube tutorial.   


Anyways, I kept plugging away coming up with something to do in each new section until I was done. 



Here's the backing.  

The binding is done and I have washed the quilt to get that cozy, crinkly look.  





I think I will wrap up in this right now as it is warm from the dryer and only 63* outside.  
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...