Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Am I late?...or very early?

Everyone is talking  Christmas but here I am working on a Halloween quilt.

Am I late?  Yes, way late.  I appliqued these cats five years ago while I sat with my mom while she was in hospice.  Maybe that's why they sat for awhile as they brought back too many memories.  Then again, I am way early for next Halloween and it will be 100% done by then for sure.  


At a recent retreat, I got them out and put the top together.  


Everything was in a bag and ready to go.  I made my alternating blocks at retreat and then put the top together.  

There was a large piece of fabric for my backing.....glow in the dark.  There was enough for the back and for my borders.  I don't remember if I wanted to use it for my borders, but since I was at retreat and the goal was to get it done, that's what I went with.  That's why you shouldn't wait five years to get something done unless you write yourself some notes.

Not sure I am super happy with the end results, but now that it is quilted, it is growing on me.  I am tempted to make another one with a more controlled fabric palette  instead of so scrappy.  I loved  doing the reverse applique on the cats.

I quilted this using the pantograph called Diamonds are Forever.  It reminded me of little spider webs.  Black Glide thread on top and black Fil-tec bobbins .  


It will now go on the binding pile (that sounds worse than it really is).  There are only two quilts there right now, but I am in the mood for getting some of the "to-be-quilted" quilts done.  So for now I will try to keep my momentum going.  


ADDENDUM:

Here's a look at the book that this pattern came from.  It is out of print, but there are some available "used" online. 






 

4 comments:

  1. I know it's been 5 years, but do you know the source of the cat pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also working on a pumpkin wall quilt...so you are not alone... always wanted to make this one...it is on my very long list of to do....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for inquiring. The pattern name is called Thirteen Good Luck Cats and it is in the book called Designers Series Red Wagon Originals by That Patchwork Place by Gerry Kimmel and Linda Brannock. Five years back it was already out of print, but someone found me a copy and sent it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phooey. I have several Red Wagon books, but not that one.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...