Saturday, October 20, 2018

Got away from the rat race.......

The plan was as soon as the kitchen reno was complete, we were heading to Holmes County, OH to what I call Amish Country.

It's so peaceful there; and so beautiful.


Landscape pictures just don't do the area justice.  The big open farm fields, rolling hills dotted with the Amish farms are just so picturesque.

Just.look at the traffic!


There were either people walking, biking or in their horse and buggies on their way to work.

This was the worst traffic jam we had to deal with.


Anyways, the purpose of the trip was not only to get away from the rat race here at home, the constant working on the kitchen at full-speed ahead, but there were some pieces of furniture that I wanted to order to finish our renovations.  

I don't have pictures, but I've ordered a desk to replace the roll top that we sold that was in our study along with a desk chair AND two saddle stools to go at the island in the kitchen.  They won't be completed for another 8-10 weeks, but that only gives me an excuse to go back for some beautiful snow covered scenery and of course all the great home cooking you get in their restaurants.

I did take along a new knit project to work on while driving or during down time in the hotel and got quite a bit done.


This looks difficult but is really simple and will look great once it is blocked.  It is the "spin-stitch poncho".  It's a 12 row repeat, so I can do this one without even thinking and is a great project to pick up after 8 in the evening while TV is running.  

Just prior to leaving for our little weekend trip, I took a class with Theadra Fleming called "Make it Simple".

I missed the first guild meeting so wasn't as prepared as I should have been for the class, but it's a simple class and with the strips that I had brought along I plugged away during class and once returning home, I got myself caught up pretty much to where everyone else was.  So I went from this....


To this....


Hmm...not a very good picture, but you get the idea.  The concept is pretty much that you are making your own fabric with your strips with a couple subcuts after each sewing session.  

Next is to decide on borders.

Also, this week, I have had the boys here spending the night.  I still owed Cole his Halloween pillowcase, so I ran him over to the local quilt shop and let him pick out his fabrics and this is what we came up with.  


It's a little scary if you ask me, but I think he's pretty happy with it.  

Now all four boys have their Halloween pillowcases and just in time for Halloween trick or treating.  

I will be heading for a mini retreat in about a week, so hope to have more to show'n'tell next post.











1 comment:

  1. Have to love those “traffic jams” - how did we “English” get our lives so complicated? Your trip to the quiet side sounds exactly what was called for...you returned refreshed and you get to go back!! Cute pillowcases - aren’t they fun to make!!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...