Saturday, January 20, 2018

Charity quilts

There were 20 strips left over from my Good'n'Plenty quilt, so I thought I would make them up in jelly roll race fashion.  From there, I cut out two squares and cut them diagonally and got this. 


I put a 4" mitered border around the center and I am hoping to run to the store soon and buy some bubble gum pink minky to back this quilt.  I will donate this one to my night time quilt guild. It measures out 40" square.

Can't you just see some cute little baby girl in a hot pink tutu with a black and white polka dot scrunchy with a big flower in her hair wrapped up in this?  haha.  

Then last week, I picked up a kit that the day time quilt guild put together.  There were strips in the package, backing and binding cut out.  The instructions said to make a checkerboard quilt top.  

This is what I came up with. 


This made  up real quick so I am going to use it  (double duty) for the Beginner's Class for new APQS machine owners next weekend.  It will be what I use to demonstrate on how to load a quilt and set up a pantograph for.   There are cute little daisies behind all the cupcakes, so I will probably use the Daisies Galore panto and I will be doing it in chartreuse.  Who doesn't like a little pop or surprise in a baby quilt?  

Here is the backing and binding that are all ready for this quilt.  I just need to cut the batting and it is ready to go.  


These were so much fun to make up that I think I will do more charity baby quilts this year.  

Do you do charity quilts?



5 comments:

  1. Super cute jelly roll quilt. Yes, it will be fabulous for a little girl. Great idea with the charity quilt, double duty by using it for a lesson and have a finished top, instead of a dog bed! I don't do charity quilts myself, but once in a while I'll quilt one for a customer. What I do is pick a cause here and there, and get a quilt raffled. So far, my quilts have raised $6500 for charity. Do good = feel good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Anonymous)Sharon: So now will you say that you have been productive?
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect use of your Good ‘n Plenty strips...and with a minkee back, how cozy that will be!!
    Nice checkerboard quilt too. January must be the month for doing quilts to give to the community. We had a 2 day community sew last weekend and there were piles of pet bed blankets for the humane society, fidget quilts for nursing homes, comfort quilts for kids...you name it! Good causes on every level and a feeling of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute little hot pink baby quilt. It's a good idea to use them for long arm demos for loading and quilting pantos. It has been too long since I've stopped by. One of my new year goals is to get back into blogging more regularly. Happy to see you are quilting up a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the pink quilt. And I definitely can see a little tutu cutie on it!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...