Food for thought.

Memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Roaring Waves......

Back on July 7 I mentioned about buying this kit from one of my favorite local quilt shops.
It is made with 12 fat quarters and I had those cut and stitched together  before  the washer died.

Once the washer died, I decided to strip the old wall paper out of the now empty laundry room and get it painted.  What an ordeal!  That paper had been on those walls so long, it just didn't want to come down. decided to take the walls with it.  What a mess we got ourselves into.  Anyways, nearly two weeks went by.....drywalling, painting getting the new washer and dryer installed. It's done and looks great now.  Thank goodness there is no more wallpaper in this house.  

So yesterday was my first day back into the sewing room (July 17).  I cut my strips from the tubes that I made and pinned them to the ironing board.

Then the tubes of strips  needed to be staggered like a bargello quilt.

From there I stitched the center.

Then today (July 18), I started adding my borders.

First border was a 1" (finished) navy border.

Then there was the 4 1/2" outer border; and that makes for a completed top (flimsy).

Here's a close up of some of the cute fabrics in this quilt.  The majority of the fabrics are from Sweetwater ..... and the line is Liberty.

It was a good feeling to get back into the sewing room after a couple of weeks AND to complete a quilt top.  It's now on the "to be quilted pile".  I believe it won't be long before this one is totally done as the binding is made and the backing is already pieced.

The pattern can be found on AllPeopleQuilt and it is called Roaring Waves.

Friday, July 7, 2017


Right now I have no business sewing at all.  The washing machine died, so we went out and bought a new washer and dryer.  Since they were out of the laundry room, I decided to tear down the wallpaper that has been in there 20 some odd years.  That in itself has been a disaster.

Just prior to this escapade, the gals and I went on a little shop hop with instructions that I was NOT to buy any fabric.  You'll see that they were not of any help in that department.

Bought this adorable fox fabric for Jude who just moved into his "big boy" bed and his room has a fox theme, so I made him a pillowcase. 

Then I found this adorable little wallet that I am going to make from stash fabric.  Problem is...there are too many choices and I don't know which route to go.  

Also, I bought a KIT.  I never buy kits, but this one was adorable in one of my favorite quilt shops.  I have already purchased backing online and had to buy one of the fabrics that they had substituted something else in the kit.  

So far, I have stitched together the strips getting them ready to be sliced up.  It would have been nice to have this for the Fourth, but it will be ready for next year for sure. 

Quite awhile ago, I won a contest on Jan Patek's website for naming one of her blocks or quilts (can't remember which).  I was to get a pattern.  Well, they lost my info and a lot of time passed and I kind of forgot about it until the other day when the pattern came in the mail along with another pattern for being so late (they finally found my info).  I love them both!!

Then today when we realized that the drywall mud was not dry enough to sand, I started putting the Hearts and Hands blocks onto their respective places on the  background and pinned them in place.  Now I can get ready to stitch them down.

Ok....back to getting the laundry room into shape.