Food for thought.

Memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Trying to finish another UFO

A while back I was obsessed at getting this very old UFO complete. I am talking about my 2000 piece, hand pieced, thimble quilt that was started in 2006.  You can see where I was talking about it here.

Well I procrastinated again on it because I was going to hand stitch the borders.  Top and bottom were easy enough because they were straight, but the sides were the shape of the thimbles. 


I procrastinated because I was trying to figure out how I was going to do this.  In my head I felt I had a good idea, but to put it in motion was another thing.  Well, I bit the bullet today.  

 I drew a 1/4 " seam line on my border. 


Pinned all the lower points of the thimbles to the stitch lines.


....and started appliquing the thimbles to the border.  

I have one side down and one more to go.  

Now I REALLY see a light at the end of this tunnel.  Wish I had started this out earlier in the day so that I would have daylight to finish the second border, but at least I know this technique is do-able and it will be done in no time at all.  

My corners are going to be mitered.  Need to check the stash to see if I have a backing and then it will be ready to quilt.  

3 comments:

  1. What a good idea to applique onto the border! That's going to be one priceless quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the edge design you are creating! Looking forward to seeing the finished top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not have thought to appliqué that to the border. It's going to look great!! You are going great guns on these UFO's these days. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete