Skip to main content

Ready for Retirement.....

That title has a double meaning because I sure feel ready for retirement.....just not yet, but the Habitat quilt that I was making for my boss for his retirement party this coming week is done.....with time to spare...yeah!

100 percent done with binding and label.

You can see the corner label in the upper right (DH was holding the quilt upside down).

This is a close up of the quilting, binding and backing.  

Here's a couple more close ups of the quilting while on the long arm.  I used a panto called Bauhaus.  

Sure feels good to be done early on this one AND to just have another one done so that I can move onto something else.  

Sure hope he likes it.  

Before I end this post, I would like to share MY Habitat that I made several years ago. 

Actually the colors are much dustier, but the top is done in a sueded cotton and the back was the batik.  I quilted it in a straight stitch (rented time on a long arm at the time) in a teal colored thread.  This is one of my favorite contemporary quilts.

Happy quilting everyone!


  1. Congratulations on a fabulous finish!
    I'm sure your boss is going to LOVE this quilt!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. What a great retirement present. He'll love it! I think the Bauhaus panto is my new favorite. So glad you shared photos of your Habitat quilt. I forgot how beautiful it is!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!