October could not have been busier.
So, as you can imagine, between visits to the hospital, staying with my daughter for a week after the baby was born, dinners with out-of-town family/friends prior to and after the wedding, rehearsal dinner, the wedding and throw in a funeral for the bride's grandma who passed away two days before the wedding, I was behind on getting the wedding quilt done.
If you remember, my son and his fiancé had given me a picture of a quilt that they wanted me to replicate.
They chose these fabrics for their quilt (oranges and grays)
Prior to retreat in June, I cut up all of the 11+ yards into strips and while at retreat I stitched all the strips together.
I made a grid to lay on top of the picture of the original quilt.
and then on a piece of paper, I worked out the sizes for each of the sections for the quilt plus I added one more row to make it a queen-sized quilt.
As I got a section done, I scratched it out.
Tonight I finished the top, but it is so big and the edges should probably be stay-stitched so that my seams don't open up, but for now, it is folded and hung on my sewing room door.
So, this picture just gives you a sneak peek. This is probably just about a quarter of the quilt.
Now I have to say, I have very little fabric left over.
There's a few loose strips and I have 13 butt end strip sections that I "maybe" could get out 9" cuts that could be used for pillow case edges. We will see though.
I will have to do some measuring to make sure my quilt top is square and then I have to piece the backing fabric and once that is done, I am going to put it on the long arm and get this thing quilted. I am debating whether to use a solid orange of a solid gray for the binding. I may ask the bride for her opinion on this and I am thinking of using an orange thread to quilt straight line stitching to give it an even more modern look.
So stay tuned. I am hoping life slows down a bit here but with the holidays coming, I may just have to wait until 2014 to come around.