Sunday, August 18, 2013

I am back from Quilt Week or

Where to start?  Do I make this one post or two?  There was so much to see in Grand Rapids this week at the AQS Quilt Week show. 
 
 
Sandy from Alabama came up to my house and we drove together from here in MI to the show.
 
 
We stayed at the Amway which is connected to the DeVos Convention Center where the show was held.
 
 
We were impressed!
 
 
Our room was fabulous.
 
We took an excursion to Frederick Meijer's Gardens.
It is known for its gardens and it's sculptures. 
Awesome. 
I want to go back and see more.
 
 
This window was in one of the greenhouses.  It made me think of a quilt. 
 
 
Hanging in the cafeteria was this Chihuly glass sculpture. 
 
 
Last year they had these type of glass sculptures all through the gardens.  I wish I had seen them then. 
 
We, also, went to a lecture by David Taylor, an art quilter.  All I can say is his work is awesome!!
 
We were asked NOT to take pictures of the quilts at the show and then post them, but everyone is going to see the winning quilts in one place or another.  This was the Best of Show called Sushi.
 
 
...and this was another big winner.
 
 
Other than these two quilts, I really didn't take any more pictures, but there sure were a lot of beautiful quilts there to enjoy.
 
There were over 200 vendors, too. 
 
Here are some of my purchases minus some Christmas gifts that I have bought ahead of time.
 
These are fat quarters and backing for a quilt that I have been wanting to make called "Fancy That".
 
 
I bought a pattern for a cute little zippered bag and bought these fabrics to work with.
 
 
....and I bought several spools of thread for quilts that I have waiting here to be quilted.
 
 
The red and tan threads are for my Swoon quilt.
 
The two rosy colored threads are for my Home Sweet Home quilt.
 
The gold threads are for my sister-in-laws 9-patch quilt that I am supposed to quilt for her.
 
The two turquoise/aqua ones are for  my Vintage Modern quilt.
 
The gray threads, I think, will be for my large black/white and red quilt AND maybe for the wedding quilt, too.
 
I, also, picked up the teal thread for another friend's quilt (Rita's)  that needs to be quilted. 
 
Note sure if you can see it, but I have two long arm rulers (arcs) from DeLoa Jones, a show pin and a magnetic pin/scissors keeper. 
 
Ahhh....I think I did well this time around. 

Well, it is back to normal tomorrow. 

Today we worked some more on the planning of the baby shower that will take place this coming weekend.  If you didn't believe me that the "tribbles" were multiplying, you should see the pile of them on the pool table in the basement.  I will leave you with this picture......

 
  
 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time at the show!
    Wishing you a fabulous time at the baby shower this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your Tribbles - they will be a fun accent at the shower. Bet you really enjoyed being at the Rapids show and hearing David Taylor speak. He does incredible artistic quilting doesn't he. The name always catches my eye as that is our son's name also and he is a very gifted photographer (this is Mom speaking but others agree:0)

    Enjoy the shower and happy stitching with your new goodies. The black, white and yellow prints are very dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That so SO much fun!!! Have a good time with the baby showers this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun week and great quilts....thanks for the pics and yes, they will be showing somewhere else too! Love your fabric purchases....

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...