Thursday, February 10, 2011

Trying to sew, but life keeps getting in the way....

Life...., yes, it keeps getting in the way.


We buried my father-in-law, Jose, this afternoon.  He was 88 and died from what appears to be a slip and fall...outside....alone....in our frigid Michigan weather.  My poor husband found his dad, who lived alone,  last Thursday.  The only good thing is that he will be joining my mother-in-law who passed several years ago.

So we have been sorting through his household all this week.

Starting this weekend, we will be moving my daughter, her husband, three little boys, a dog and a cat into OUR house for a few weeks until their new home is ready for them to move in.  Thus...requiring another move.  That will be three moves in just a matter of a couple months. 

So, that brings me to my sewing....my sanity....my salvation.

Remember my saying that I was taking part in a birthday star block exchange?  Well, I have received MY first block (a little early, but the maker is going out of town and wanted to get  a months worth sent out).  I requested country reds and tans.


I had sent out a black and white one for a January birthday, but for the life of me, I couldn't find my picture so I copied this one from the the recipient of this one and she had it lying out in the sun (California) to take her picture.  Of course here in MI, I would have had to lay it out in the snow!  I am so jealous. 


I did make three for the month of February, but until I send them, I can only give you a little hint.

The first one requested blue/blue-violet.  I had to get the color wheel out to make sure I was using the right colored fabric. How'd I do?


This one requested green and ivory.


This  one requested country red and tan.



I am going to send these out this weekend and then in a few days I can post the pictures of the full stars.  I think they turned out pretty good.

Then there is the wedding quilt  (triple Irish chain).  I am getting to think that with the way life is going, I MAY be putting the binding on at the wedding.

Right now I am just making segments.

I need 84 of these and have 10 made.


I need 84 of these and have 16 made.


I need 42 of these and have 15. 


I need 84 and have 29.


I need 84 and have 13. 


I need 84 and have 44. 


I have all 42, 8" solid squares cut out; and I have a full four 20" blocks made.  Doesn't seem like much, but progress is progress whenever I find the time.

One last bit  on the Cherry Trees blocks.


I am three blocks behind, but this has had to be put on the back burner for right now, but I did trace out the last two blocks, #16 and #17.  #15 has all the fabric pieces cut out, so it's not forgotten, but once the wedding quilt is off to the quilter, I will have more applique time. 

Hope you are finding time to quilt. 




10 comments:

  1. So sorry for you loss. You're in my prayers. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your father-in-law. It is a sad way to go. My condolences to you and your husband and your family.
    I am surprised you can do very much with all that is going on around you. Seems like there is still some way to go with the wedding quilt. How big is it going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. My grandfather dies and I lost my ability to sew/quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad about his tragic accident and end to his life, I'm sorry for your family's loss. Sounds like you have a lot of stuff going on and more than busy. Enjoy your stitching time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending comfort & prayers to you & your family over the loss of your father-in-law!
    I hope the transitional move with your daughter & her family goes quickly & smoothly.
    And may this wedding quilt go together faster than you anticipate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to you and your family. So often we are faced with so much at one time. Quilting can bring a sense of peace amidst all the turmoil.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so so sorry, sweetie. You and your family are in my prayers. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faye, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Big hugs your way. Don't worry about your BTCT, it will be there when "life" settles down. I prepped pieces for 3 blocks, now I'm putting on the bias circles. It's all just a process and I'm trying to just enjoy every minute I get to work on it. Please take care of yourself, you are looking after a lot of others right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faye, I am so so sorry about your father-in-law. Hugs and Prayers to your entire family. Aren't you glad sewing is such goo therapy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My condolences to you and your family Faye.
    I agree with you in that sewing (quilting) is my salvation also - it certainly is therapy.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...