Saturday, May 23, 2009

# 2 of 4 is complete


Just finished putting the binding on the second quilt that came back from the quilter's the other day.







This was a shop hop quilt where you get a quilt block or two at each of the quilt shops that you visit. I actually sat on these blocks a little too long and by the time I got around to them, I was having more than a few problems assembling the blocks AND the setting triangles. There were a couple blocks that I miscut and ended up having to use a different fabric (some from left overs from other blocks and others scrounging at the quilt shop) to complete the block. Then when it came time to do the setting triangles both a friend of mine and I reported to the shop that came up with this layout that they shorted us fabric. We each got the extra strips that we needed of all the fabrics. Well, I don't think we were shorted, but the problem was that they had given us the strips cut at 2 1/2 (or something like that) and we were making the corners with those strip BUT we were supposed to cut them down to something like 2 or 2 1/4 which would have made a huge difference. Also, with some of the problems I was having and by the time I had gotten around to making my quilt, I was very fortunate that the shop owner had a box of scrap fabrics from her shop hops and she found all that I needed to complete the top. Lesson learned, when doing shop hops or buying quilt kits, don't wait too long to get at them in case there are problems. You might not be able to find the fabric at a later date.

Anyways, I nearly gave up on this quilt with all the frustrations and was sure I wasn't going to like it; but, all-in-all, this is probably one of my favorites. I love the red and I always like the use of black in a quilt.

This quilt measures out to be approximately 66 x 83. The batting in my quilts is almost always 100% cotton Quilter's Dream. I wanted to name this quilt, but haven't come up with a good one yet.

The next two quilts that were quilted by the machine quilter need to have the bindings put on; and I will probably try fitting in a baby quilt somewhere inbetween as the shower is coming up very quickly. So I need to keep up my momentum if I want to get these done in a timely manner. It sure does feel good to get things done and out of the way though.

1 comment:

  1. I think it came out beautiful!
    Some of those blocks look a
    little too difficult for me.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...