Saturday, February 12, 2022

Birthday block exchange .......


Eons ago I participated in a birthday block exchange with friends that I had originally met on Alex Anderson's message board.  We stayed in touch for  years after her board shut down and some of us to this day still chat. 

Anyways, we had about two or three different star blocks to choose from  and we each got to choose our preferred colors.  I chose red and cream.  I loved them all.  

The embroidered blocks were gifted to me from the gal that used to do my longarming.  While she was cleaning out her business (I believe she no longer quilts), she gave me 12 embroidered stars.  Would you believe, there were red!?!  How appropriate to finally decide to put these two separate projects together into one quilt.  




I quilted this quilt on my APQS Millie using the Azaleas pantograph using a medium tan 



I fell in love with this fabric and knew I had to use it for the backing.  It isn't a true red, but there were so many reds in the quilt, I didn't think having a different shade for the back would make a difference. Besides, my plaid sashing and borders were somewhat of a brick color anyways.  




I really like how the quilt turned out.  The same darker plaid will be used for the binding




I previously quilted the left over birthday exchange blocks into a baby quilt.  Here they are.

 




For this one I used an star embossed minky for the backing.  


If I had had more of the embroidered blocks, I may have put all the blocks together, but I was anxious to get these into a quilt top and if it meant making two quilts, so be it.  I am just glad to have them done and I love them both.    Besides, I did not feel like making more embroidered blocks or star blocks at the time.  I just wanted  a "finish".  

Now onto the next personal quilt before more customer quilts come in.  There's one already loaded on the machine.  I am excited to get that one done, too.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...