Thursday, October 29, 2020

Retreat time!

 Oh how a retreat was needed for the soul.

We spent three days at the Capuchin Retreat Center quilting the hours away.  Of course we had to follow all the Covid restrictions....filling out a health form, taking our temperatures day of arrival and departure, wearing masks throughout the building and just practicing good hygiene. Even with all that, we had such a good time and got lots done.

We were divided up into two groups (there were 18 of us).  We were designated odd and even numbers according to our room numbers and had to follow  those numbers to the two sewing rooms and taking turns in the cafeteria to practice good social distancing.  

Well, the group I was in were the odd numbered ones (Odd balls as we called ourselves later)


I tried hard to take pictures whenever a new quilt was displayed, so I hope I didn't miss anyone's beautiful works of art; but when you are oohing and ahhing, it's hard to remember to bring the camera out.  

So, here's a quick peek at some of what everyone was working on. 

There were a total of 100 of these blocks, 5".






Placemats


Pumpkin for a great grandbaby



A sister's (3) collaboration for a  family Christmas drawing.  


A brand new quilter!  Not sure I would have attempted this one as a first timer, but it came out beautifully. 



Husband's shirts.  There were many more rows of this one, but I missed that photo.





Thimbleberries quilt.  





Then the two that I got completed were the Halloween cats that I appliqued while sitting with my mom while she was in hospice back in December 2015.  I made it my goal to get this one done on the first day.


My cats were in a bag so long that I forgot that had sashing, border and binding fabric already purchased.  So, this one should get on the long arm super quick.

Then while hunting for projects to work on for retreat, I came across a bag of black and white fabric strips, so decided to use them up and make a charity quilt.  I had some left over turquoise fabric from another charity quilt and used up every bit of these fabrics.  I now have an empty space in my closet...yeah!!!


I did get binding machine stitched on a couple of charity quilts.  One was taken by a member of the guild to work on and I will finish the other one very soon. 

Well, all-in-all, it was a very happy and satisfying three days.  It's left me wanting to continue with my sewing which I plan on doing.  Getting together with friends was the brightest highlight of those days  especially after all the dark days we have been going through.  

Here's to better days.  Stay healthy and do what you love.  











No comments:

Post a Comment

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...