Friday, June 21, 2019

I should be quilting.......

There's a customer quilt waiting to be quilted.

There's a slew of fabric that needs to be organized in the "charity room".

There's sewing that I want to do for myself.

But....when you have been talking about replacing two, exterior French doors for the last couple of years and finally the husband says, "Let's go look at doors", you drop everything and go with him since I am the one that was sick of looking at the yellowed window panes that were getting brittle and you were afraid to wash windows for fear the panes would break AND you were sick of cleaning the 2" blinds that covered those window.





Well, we looked and what I wanted were the doors with no windowpanes and blinds that were encased in the glass.

Two sets of French doors weren't cheap, but one of the salesmen mentioned that you could just replace the glass (no more panes) AND you could replace it with the blinds inside the double layer of glass (no more blinds to clean)!!!  Who knew?!!!

DH was sold on that.  We did some shopping around and found a good price; picked up the four windows and installation was pretty much a breeze.

All you had to do was unscrew the screws that were in the framework, cut the caulk and pop out the window.  Here one of the windows is out.  You can see the framework leaning against the deck railing.


The replacements fit perfectly and were pre-caulked.  Pop the window in and screw it back in place. 

Here you can see both windows installed in one of the doorwalls with the blinds pulled all the way up.  I just love the full view.




Here you can see one of the windows with the blinds down. 


I can't believe that we made the decision at noon and by 6:00 had picked up the windows and installed them by ourselves at 1/3 the cost of new doors.  

I guess I can't complain about setting other things aside to get something like this accomplished that has been waiting to get done for so long.  I'm a happy camper.  

I so appreciate a husband that is a DIYer like myself.

Ok...back to my regularly scheduled quilting and other projects.  Thanks for looking in.  



3 comments:

  1. Your discovery is amazing! I never knew you could just replace the glass and with the blinds inside all ready. Will be filing this idea away for future...we just bought all new honeycomb shades for our french doors (old ones were 23 years old and right after we built, they came out with the feature of enclosed shades) I am with you - dusting the other style blinds is not fun - ever. Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! That's quite an upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love it when a plan comes together....and what a great difference! Love modern technology

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...