Sunday, September 9, 2018

I should get paid.....

by Menard's.  

I think I am there more than a full-time employee.  After our first visit there, my DH said he didn't want to go back since it is a bit of a hike to the nearest one.  With that said, we have probably been back at least six more time.  Then with their 11% discount on everything that you buy.....well....it just keeps you going back.  So, now we are trying to figure out what we need and what we can wait to buy while we are waiting for our second 11% rebate to come in the mail.  We spent one already. The big one is yet to come (that one is from the purchase of the new refrigerator plus).  

The last of the contractors finished up on Friday.  When I walked in, I think I heard angels sing!  I love the new color of my kitchen walls.  

We went from a dark taupe color..... (you can see the lighter color on the patch were we removed the old wall phone)

....to this new lighter version.





If you can't decide on a color, this one might be for you.....Revere Pewter (Benjamin Moore)  It's a two for one color.   In some light it looks gray and in other light it is beige (very taupe-y).  

Anyways, WE are still progressing on the kitchen  cupboards.   I ran out of the base coat (from the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit) 14 cupboard doors into painting the first coat on the outside of the doors and found out you can't just buy another quart of base coat.  So....off to Menard's again to buy another whole kit.  They were out of it. 

On the way to another Menard's (OMG!  Two in one day?), we got to thinking about our neighbor who had  recently done her cabinets with the same product.  I gave her a jingle to see if she had any of the base coat left from her project (her kitchen is much smaller than mine).  The only thing is that it either had to be tinted "linen" or it had to be  a "pure white" full can.  How lucky could we get?  She had a whole quart of white that she had not opened and was willing to let us have.  Yeah!!!!

We picked it up and ran over to Home Depot to have it tinted.  So, the first coat is on the outside of all the cupboard doors and drawers.  (By the way, I think I should be paid for part-time work at Home Depot). 

Sunday's plan is to put a coat on in the morning and then the third coat on in the evening.  

Then it is the glazing process.  This one scares me a little, but if I don't like it, I can always paint over it.  I'd rather not though.  

One of our purchases at the last Menard's visit was a couple pieces of hardware for the cupboards when they are complete.  We never had pulls or handles before, so this will make a big statement on the completed doors.  I am really liking these.





What I really wanted from this line were the square knobs, but my daughter got me to thinking about when they get loose, they will turn and not be straight.  With me being such a perfectionist, all those crooked knobs were going to drive me crazy AND DH mentioned that once they started twisting on the paint, they will probably mar the paint.  Ok.....I have to be practical here.  So I have decided to go with the handles that are screwed in two places thus no movement.  

I'm telling you....all these decisions are really hurting my head.  Plus, the fact that my back and neck hurt from bending over painting all those doors/drawers.  Sure will be nice to get them all done.

I think I am finally starting to get excited about seeing this all come to fruition.

I'll be glad to get back to normal life....sewing, quilting, knitting.....very sedate compared to the last month.

Ok....on to the last coat of base coat on those cupboards.  

2 comments:

  1. Yep. So many decisions! But, I have to say, everything is coming together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having to straighten those square knobs would be like keeping picture frames aligned correctly...I think you made a great choice with the new handles! Benjamin Moore always has such usable paint colors - I could spend hours standing in front of their display rack with all those paint chip cards...decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...