Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Things are still moving along....

Floors are down, but not without problems. 

(kitchen/kitchenette) 


(laundry room)


(pantry)


(hallway)


(bathroom)



This is my second choice of flooring.  The first choice was ordered and they could only get 1/2 of what I needed. The other half wasn't going to be available until the end of November.  There was no guarantee the dye lot would be the same OR if it wouldn't be discontinued before November rolled around.  Had to go shopping for a second choice. 

The flooring was supposed to be laid out in a herringbone pattern; and I paid extra to get that done.  Once the floor guys got here, they talked me out of it because of the size of the tile and the hallway that had some turns in it.  They said I would lose the effect of my herringbone in half of what needed to be laid, so I changed my mind on the spot.  Now I am trying to get my $$ back for the extra I paid.

Then the quartz was put in.  I have to say that this part of the renovations was probably the easiest.  Everything went without a hitch; and I love it.

(the island which we turned and put a larger piece of quartz on top of)


(counter tops.....here you can see my original tile that I wanted ...the center one....3 x 6)


(more counter top minus the appliance garage now)


(new sink and faucet)


(bathroom got the quartz with new sink and toilet replacing the tan fixtures)



Another problem though was my tiles that I chose for the back splash.  I loved them; but when my tile guy came over to do the measurements (he's a friend and neighbor), he told me about all the horror stories that have been happening with subway tile right now.  Everything coming in from Mexico, China and Turkey are warped; and because of that warp, if they put them up, the lines of grout look wavy.  I couldn't live with that. 


 So, I was out shopping again.  If I could find something that didn't take 6-8 weeks to be delivered, he could do the tile job right away.  If I ordered something, he couldn't promise me when he would be available.  Ugh!  I am to the point of really wanting this whole job done.  

My second choice is one tile that will be put above the range and the rest of the back splash will be a "glass" subway tile for the rest of the areas.  

Here's a peek at the "second" choice tiles.  The 4 x 12" subway tiles will cover the majority of the back splash and the skinny tiles that consist of glass and stainless steel will be above the range.


This is all going to start going up tomorrow.

So, in the meantime, we are sanding cupboards and getting them prepped to paint.  Progress is being made.  I just wish there weren't so many bumps in the road along the way.  

2 comments:

  1. Keep the faith, when you are getting closer to the end and it all starts to come together it will be worth it....been there and know it is not easy. Try to enjoy the experience as you probably won't do again soon ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the subway tiles...you just never know do you? Thankfully it sounds like you have a friend who really knows his stuff. Love the color you chose for the counter tops...and boy do I have Pantry Envy!! Wonderful space...is that an Instant Pot I spy?? We use ours all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...