Tuesday, March 6, 2018

I'm a perfect piecer......

NOT!

Don't we all wish we were.  Maybe some of you are.  I sure am not.  Therefore, I spent the day trimming blocks.


I am prepping my Kira blocks (GE Designs) to get them laid out in a pleasing order so that I can piece this top.  I borrowed my friend's (Sharon's) Stripology Squared ruler for squaring up these blocks and it works wonderfully.  Here is what I ended up trimming off.  I really do hate trimming up my blocks.  It is so time consuming, but oh so worth it in the end.


This goes to show I am not so perfect.

I am going to lay out these blocks and pin my rows together and then set it aside for working on at a  retreat that I will be attending next month.

Since I was in the mood for trimming (that is, if anyone is ever in the mood for trimming), I decided to  piece together some HST that I found in a bin of French General fabric (yes....I have a whole bin).  These were all paired up and I believe they were cut offs from another quilt, although I can't for the life of me remember which quilt they are from.


They were all paired up, face to face, so I just had to run them through the machine.  

Then I used my handy dandy Quilt in a Day Square Up ruler.


This took even longer since there were about 179 pairs.

I have now pressed the sets open.


These will work up to be 2" finished.  Now to come up with a layout for these.  I, also, have plenty of fabric that I could use for a border as I am thinking that this little quilt is going to be 13 x 13 blocks (26" square center) which equals 169 blocks.  I could make more, but will I?
Time will tell.  

I guess I will sit in front of the TV tonight and trim off those rabbit ears.  That will be another little bit of progress on these orphan blocks.

I may, also, kit this up for taking to retreat.  

Ok....I think I will start laying out some blocks and see where it takes me.  

Hope you are having a quilty day.  Again, we are waiting for a good snowstorm  (something like 3").  Will Spring ever arrive?!!

2 comments:

  1. Between trimming and basting, not sure which is my least favorite part of quilting...but both are necessary as you said. I do find the revolving cutting mat handy - it is the smaller one which is nice for HST’s, etc. We got the 3” of white stuff here...not sure which direction we forwarded it on. I am with you - Spring can arrive any time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't have much to trim off, but you're right, it is worth it. Better to have a little to trim than to have them turn out too small. The French General sounds like it would make a perfect wall hanging in a little girl's room! Stitching, squaring up, trimming rabbit ears. All worth it in the end when you end up with such a lovely finished "something"!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...