Friday, March 9, 2018

Folk Art Quilt

This lovely quilt came to me from Pat in Wisconsin. 
Pat has a wonderful story about this quilt and it can be found on her blog thoughtsfromtaylorsoutback.  I have to say it put the pressure on to do well on this quilt.


Together we decided to do the background in McTavishing in a color of thread to blend in with the background and backing to give it texture.

As for the applique, I did minimal quilting on it.  The only stitching done on the applique was to tack it down and give some definition where needed.

Below I will show you each block as it is on the quilt top.





Second row.


Now, I have a little story to tell you about this eagle.  I had him all quilted and felt he needed a little definition on his chest area...kind of like delineating the neck feathers from the chest area.  I laid my ruler on there and did one row of stitching.  BUT...the more I looked at him, the more all I could see was a "bra".  Could I leave it and no one else would notice?  


Nope.  After finishing the quilt, I ripped out those stitches and moved that ruler over one wave and now I am much happier with this chest feathers.  


Funny how things like that can happen.


Row three.


My next dilemma was how to quilt those two trees minimally.  I thought I could just put a "stick" with branches down the middle of the tree or feathers to fill the area; but that would be more quilting in the whole tree than I had done in any other applique piece.  At the last minute a very simple, open feather that followed the fabric design seemed like the right answer.  


Then there was this block.  Everyone I talked to said it looked like a cradle (my first thought, too).  I contacted Pat to see if she knew what it was.  She thought it was a feeder or a water trough, so that is the way I treated it.  Then when I was all done with the quilt, I had a friend stop by and she said it looked like a blue egg.  Duh!  Why didn't I think of that?  Oh well.  I am not sure how I would have quilted this area any differently and still keep it minimal.


Here's a look at the border.



.....and finally a look at the completed quilt top.


I've saved this post until this quilt gets back home to Wisconsin and its owner gets to see it  in person.  

Since she received it she is busy putting the binding on and has a label ready to go with all the people that worked on this quilt.  She even has a sleeve attached because it is going into a quilt show next weekend that features quilts that replicate antique quilts.  I think this sounds like a great quilt show.  Wish I lived closer.  

Anyways, Pat says she is happy with the way I quilted the quilt and that makes me happy.  I think it is one of those quilts that will be treasured.  I know it was a pleasure to work on it.  

Thanks Pat.  









6 comments:

  1. What a great post with such lovely photos - Like the angles you used with your camera - it really shows off the great stitching you did. And I thought the “bra” story was hilarious! Who knew our American Eagle could also be a lady!! Perhaps a sign of things to come if we can elect a woman president!! I love what you did with this quilt and that you are part of its journey to completion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Anonymous) Sharon: That really did turn out beautifully. I think it would be a 10-12 hour road trip to get to that quilt show, Faye. My calendar is clear. Just Saying.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hopped over from Pat's blog. You did a lovely job on the quilting. I once took a class from Karen McTavish, and I think you did her proud!
    Funny story about quilting the eagle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure she's delighted with it. I enjoyed reading about it on her blog. Your work is beautiful, but I don't understand what's wrong with a bra on an eagle? (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous quilt and a great quilting job!! Love the story about the eagle's chest!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...