Sunday, January 14, 2018

Find Your Fade (phase one)

One of the yarn projects that I had purchased back when I went on the Grand Traverse Yarn Shop Hop last September was the yarn for the shawl called Find Your Fade.

I've been laid up with a little surgery, so I pulled this project out thinking I would just get it started; but as usual, I became obsessed with working on it and trying to get it done.  


These were the wool yarns I purchased for this project.


My plan is to knit them in this order, but I am having second thoughts right now.  We'll see as time goes by and knitting stitches grow.

It was cast on December 27, 2017 and ripped out, then stitched again  but this time using a life line; but when it came to the lace section, I just don't know what was going on in my head.  I just was not reading it right.  I ripped it out a total of five times.  I was about to put it all away, but thought I would try just one more time and for some reason....it WORKED!  I don't know what I was reading wrong (and continued to read wrong), but once I decided to give it a try "during the day" when I was surely clear headed....everything fell into place.

So, starting on January 8, 2018, I was here. (first color, Peacock)


January 9, I was here. (second color, Aleutian)


January 10, I have it to here. (third color, Belize)


Then on January 13, you will find me just finishing up the third color lace section......TWICE.....Yes, you read that right. 



 I was feeling a little too sure of myself and wasn't using my life lines and my lace just wasn't coming out correctly. In fact, you cannot be even one stitch off or it will throw the whole lace pattern off.  So....I ripped the whole lace section out and redid it.  These rows are getting longer and longer and when you are working on lace, you have to really pay attention, but I found my mind wandering and then I'd come back to it and think "where was I?".  Since I didn't use my life line in the lace section, I had to rip all the way back to the plain (garter) section.  If you don't know what  a life line is, check it out here.  They really do save a lot of time if you have to rip out.  

So, I am heading into the color melting for my fourth color (Glacier)  and you can see that here.

January 14.


This yarn is, also,  by Quince & Co, a very pale blue/bluegreen.  At the point that I am right now, there are 233 stitches and that is at its widest.  From here on out, things are downhill (decreasing) ....yeah!!

So, I thought I would post my Find Your Fade to this point since I am feeling much better and this house is calling my name.  Progress on my shawl may stall a little until things are a little more in order here at home.  I do have a goal to get this done quickly though.  I have another shawl in the wings that I want to make and I am setting March as my start date for that one.  

There are a couple more knitting projects in the wings that I would like to see completed, too; but we will see how time works for me. 

So....stay tuned.....I hope to be able to report on Find Your Fade again real soon.  

5 comments:

  1. It's fun watching you work on this one! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors and the names of each of your chosen yarns...I raise my (beginner) knitting needles to you in salute for such determination!! I would have been in tears on the 3rd redo...
    Take care and don’t overdo the housework...it will be there when you are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Anonymous)Sharon: Well, I tried to post as me but NO LUCK.
    Anyway..I'm loving this project. I know you are knitting away today...so I'm sure we will see a finish before we know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colors are just gorgeous, and your work is beautiful as always! Maybe you were still a little loopy from the anesthesia when you first started the shawl. Don't jump into that housework too soon - you know knitting is less demanding. lol Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way your shawl is fading. The colors you picked are just gorgeous!! I see that there is a big following on fade knitting projects this year. I'm still addicted to sock knitting, but this is very tempting. Have you ever made felted mittens? That's on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...