Sunday, March 19, 2017

Cut up my stash....red/navy/gold.....

I thought I would make a dent in my stash, so I cut up all my red, navy and gold fabrics.


My intent was to make just one scrappy jelly roll quilt as that portion of my stash looked limited.

So, I cut them all up in 2 1/2" strips.


I didn't think the piles looked all that big, but I definitely had more reds, plenty of gold and very little navy.

I sewed all the strips together in the usual Jelly Roll Quilt fashion.  If you are looking for a great tutorial on making different sizes of Jelly Roll quilts, this is a great site for making them for charity.

My first one turned out with a lot of gold as the gold strips were mostly 42" long whereas my other fabrics were pretty much just scraps.


I  still had plenty of strips, so I thought I could make another one.  This time I thought I would double up on the reds since I had so many reds left.


I still had strings left....just not enough for another quilt, so I made up scrappy bindings for both quilts.  One was in gold and the other is in red.


Both quilts were quilted on my Millenium APQS machine using the pantograph called "Patriot".

On the red one I used a gold colored Glide thread with the same color thread on the back as the back (also from my stash) blended well with that color.



On the gold one, I used a red Glide thread with matching thread on the back.   The backing on this one is cream with a little red print so the red thread really blended well on the back.



Well, bindings are done.


There's just one problem.......this DID NOT make a visible dent in my stash. Oh well, I am doomed...or should I say that my kids are when they have to someday go through my sewing room and I will be hearing them say...."what was she thinking?!!!"





1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea to make scrappy binding from those leftover strips.
    The quilting looks beautiful, Congratulations on 2 more quilt Finishes for the year!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...