Sunday, April 17, 2016

McTavished pumpkin......

Got downstairs to the long arm and decided this one was going to get done today! 

This is my li'l twister pumpkin.  

The original plan was to do McTavishing on the background and then just stitch some "spines" in the pumpkin (I figured probably about 8 would do). 

I started out with the McTavishing on the black areas.  

Now, mind you....I had to do this in the dark as I couldn't see the black thread on the black background.  So, instead I used a side light to highlight the shadows of my stitching.  

If you are a longarmer and might be interested in a side light, you can find Jamie Wallen's instructions here on how to make one.  

After completing the black, my original plan was just to put in some spines in the pumpkin, but I was liking how the McTavishing was going (even though it takes a looooonng time to do this), so I changed thread color to orange and did the pumpkin in McTavishing, too.  

Again, I could not see my stitching, so I continued sewing in the dark with the side light.  

I then did the same with the green stem in green thread.  

All this quilting makes for a very stiff quilt, but that's ok since it is a wall hanging and will hang very straight.

Here's the fun backing I used for this quilt, too. 

So the quilting on this little quilt top is done. 

 Just need to bind it; and I have plenty of the backing to make a sleeve for hanging for next Halloween.  

Thanks for taking a look.  


  1. Wow, that looks really great! I think you made the right decision about the quilting. Great job.

  2. Anonymous Sharon here….That looks awesome!
    I can't wait to see it in person!

  3. And thanks for showing us. You are way ahead for the fall.

  4. Beautiful quilting! I can't wait to see what you do next. :)

  5. Love the texture you created! Always a challenge when using dark thread on dark fabric...your fabric backing is a hoot - so fun!!!



My husband built me some shelves for the "stash" closet so that I no longer have to stack all my large Rubbermaids on top of eac...