Skip to main content

Quilts of Valor on my mind.....

My guild and my retreat that I go to in June every year have designated Quilts of Valor as our challenge for the year. 
I saw a quilt while browsing blogs just yesterday and thought that would be a good idea and should have saved it, but I didn't think I would be thinking of starting one this early, but I have a friend who has hers all done for next June!  Geesh!!
So I pulled all my Americana fabrics today just to see what I had and cut them all in strips.
If I can remember what that quilt looked like, this is the layout.
In going through my stash, I could only find reds and blues in my Americana theme.  I started thinking "where did I use up all those fabrics?"
So, I started looking through the house and came up with at least three Americana-type quilts.

This one is an Alex Anderson quilt that I made in 1999 (my all time favorite) and I just cut up the last of some of these fabrics.
This one is a sampler.  I forgot to look when this one was made, but I don't think any of these fabrics were cut up tonight.
Another one of my favorites.  Now I know some of these fabrics I still had and this is an old one, too.
I actually cut up all my blues and reds but there was not one cream with stars or flags left in my stash.  I did purge all my small pieces of fabrics last year and that may be where some of them went or maybe I just used them up, so I am going to have to go buy some more keeping in mind that I don't want to "build up the stash" at this point. 
So, stay tuned for what I come up with for my Quilts of Valor challenge.
I haven't posted much lately.  Doesn't seem like I have been doing much, but I did bind the last two quilts that I quilted.  One of these days I will get them outside to hang and take some good pictures of them finished and then post them, but for now, I hope you are getting some stitches in and I hope my motivation is back (since I straightened up my sewing room today) and just maybe I will have a new quilt to show soon.
Happy Quilting. 


  1. Perhaps….some thrifted shirts will be a good way to fill out that collection????
    Looking forward to more peeks at your progress.

    I realized that I too do not have any decent pictures of a lot of my quilts….I really need to take the time to get some good shots!

  2. Beautiful quilts, Faye! Thanks for sharing. Glad you are getting your mojo back. Can't wait to see what you do!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!