Thursday, June 5, 2014

A learning tool......

Just pulled this small wallhanging off the long arm.  Try to ignore the chalked in feathers 
 
 
I have been wanting to do this wall hanging that Eve made several years ago.
(Eve is a friend at a retreat that I go to yearly and that particular year she made "everyone" something that had her applique on it).  I thought it would be a good practice piece for  the long arm. 
 
 
This was my first time doing micro-stippling that I did around the appliqued paisley.
 
 
Also, it was my first time doing the orange peel.  I did this free hand rather than using a ruler. 
 
I, also, learned that you don't do feathers on a busy background. Either that or you don't use So Fine thread to do them in because you can't SEE them!!!  Maybe if I had used Glide, I would have been better able to see where I was going or where I had been. 
 
So of course, on the back, I have missed feathers, overlapped feathers, feathers going in the wrong direction, etc.  
 
 
I had used chalk to draw on my feathers some time ago....long before I took Karen McTavish's classes.  Of course, I didn't follow those.   I was doing my own thing and my own thing wasn't all that good, but like I said....this was a learning experience and I learned a lot.
 
Oh and to top it off, I now know how to add extra backing to a quilt that is already on the long arm. 
 
Don't ask. 
 
For as small as this quilt was, I learned a lot. 
 
Next......the ABC quilt is loaded onto Millie. 
 
Stay tuned.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...