Skip to main content

New Years Eve.....New Project.....

Delivered the wedding quilt today and just couldn't resist starting a new baby quilt for my son's friend who just had a little girl named Ella.
Her mom said the baby's room was going to be purple, so here are the fabrics that I chose.
My plan was to do something simple and preserve the cute "life saver fabric" as much as possible, so I chose this pattern that my friend, Sharon,  had made. You can see her quilt top in my December 22nd post.   It is a quick and easy chevron....not made with half square triangles, but more like a split rail.  Here is the pattern.
 I cut the strips.
Sewed them in pairs.
Sub-cut them here.
Started laying them out here.
There's not waste here, but that really wasn't the pattern or the look that I was going for.
So laid them out correctly here.
There will be some waste on the outside edges, but this gives you that true chevron look.
Here's a close up.
To sew this together, the rows will have to be sewn diagonally.  I think I will be doing that on New Years Day, but hey....this is a pretty good start for the new year. 
I will be using the  little purple and white daisy fabric for the backing and I have a panto all picked out to get this all stitched up and ready to be shipped off to little Ella and her family.
It is exciting to get started on something new for 2014.  I am looking forward to a great year.
Happy New Year everyone!


  1. Adorable baby quilt ! Thanks for the free tutorial :-D

    Happy New Year !

  2. What a great way to end up the old year -- starting a new project and getting so much done! It's adorable!

  3. How cute! Love your fabric choices! Isn't it wonderful to work on something special that you love - without being under pressure! Hope your machine is back up and running without problems soon!

    Happy New Year to you!

  4. Ella is going to love her new baby quilt! Love the soft look of the fabrics... lovely choices!
    Happy New Year!

  5. What a great quilt, I have to make one quick smart so I've been wondering what size to make it. I guess it's around 46 x 61?

  6. Very cute little quilt top for Ella!
    You sure worked this up quickly... the pattern and those fabrics are just the sweetest!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!