Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Determined to move ahead....
Sewing room is all organized. Lists have been made as to what needs to be done as far as projects go and as I have been told....not all of the things on my list are considered UFOs; but I figure if it is weighing me down, then it is a good thing to list them and then scratch them off when they are done.
Take for instance....this little safety pin.
I can't tell you how long that has been there, but it has been a loooonnnng time. It is there to remind me that there is a little snippet in the fabric that needed to be fixed. Even the grandkids kept asking me why there was a safety pin in the quilt. Well out of sight, out of mind.
When I organized the sewing room, I came across 1/4 yard of the red fabric that I used in this quilt. I appliqued a square covering that whole little block and now it is scratched off my list; and I can't even find it anymore.
Next, I got a couple of my son's quilts here to do one thing or another with. One of which is the one his grandmother made him. She made one for each of the grandkids (six in total). All of them were hand appliqued with a buttonhole stitch. Well, she never made labels. So, today I made three labels. My son's is now sewn on and I have put out a request from the girls to bring theirs over so that I can sew their labels on. Grandma is gone and I am so ever thankful that she gave me a list of all six quilts and the year she made them. Here's a peek at his quilt.
That is some pretty fine buttonhole stitches all done by hand.
As for me.....I am only going to own up to a handful of UFOs. I know I posted pictures a few days ago of all the block sets that I found, but in my heart, they aren't headed to be a quilt just yet. The only UFOs I have that are started and I can see as a quilt at this point are my Hearts and Hands, Dear Jane; Winter Botanical and even though I haven't started it yet, my black and white scrappy "Chinese coins".
So, tonight I got out the Hearts and Hands to see just where I was in the process.
Had to organize the blocks with the pattern to see what still needed to be done. Here's how I handled that.
I laid each of my finished blocks onto the corresponding pattern. I only have 18 applique blocks to go. Of course, I think I did all the easy ones first!
Then there are these.
I need 49 more of these. Of course, they are the most complex of the New York Beauties in this quilt. But hey....just one at a time. I think the hardest thing is putting fabrics together.
So...I have sewn on the 1st day of January and if the rumor is correct, I should be sewing the rest of the year.
Hope everyone had a Happy New Year. I am off to do some more stitching.
I meant it when I said it. But I failed and ended up doing it. I picked up the knitting needles instead of getting back to my pile o...
One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017. I got this pattern from a b...
Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so. The first on...
This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake. I did some research...