Skip to main content

Is it possible?

Is it possible to go to a quilt store for just heat resistant template plastic? That's all I wanted to get today, but apparently the answer to that question is "No!!".

$60 + later....

I bought the template stuff to make my circles for the Hearts and Hands blocks. I cut one at 5 3/4" for the cut block and 5 1/4" for the finished block. This should make it a little easier for me to get those blocks into the shape they need to be. I used my Olfa Compass Cutter and it worked perfectly. Of course, I probably ruined the blade cutting plastic, but..oh well...if it works!!

I walked out of the shop with the two sheets of plastic, a glue stick, a yard of the finest muslin and 5 yards of what I think is a beautiful red toile. The toile comes in other colors. I have seen it in blue, green, red, and brown....which by the way I have backed one of my "sister-in-law" quilts in the brown. I figured since red is one of my favorite colors, I will have a red quilt in my future that this new red toile will work perfectly and 5 yards should do it with just a little extra.

The muslin is to make a bag that will be embroidered with something religious to cover the christening gown that I will be making for Cole. Of course this brings me to the fact that I drove an hour north of home yesterday to go to the nearest heirloom sewing center so that I could buy a couple yards of "silk habitat batiste" to make his gown. It feels so lucious.

The glue stick is to try a technique that was suggested by my friend, Gail, to turn the edges over for the applique blocks. We'll see if it works for the Hearts and Hands blocks.

Which, also, brings me to the fact that I did finish two more of those blocks. Now I only have 100 more to make. Guess I had better get busy!


  1. Glad to see you continue to make progress on Hearts and Hands!
    Keep it up!

  2. when I was working on this quilt, I used sew on interfacing and cut it along with the fabric . I sewed it to the circle and then turned them inside out which gave me a finished circle so all I had to do was applique the circle to the square.
    well i gave up on this quilt because the applique was too small for me. I wish I would have done it on square blocks first like you did.

  3. Looks like a fun trip. The toile is gorgeous!

  4. tsk tsk tsk........I never do anything like that!



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!