Sunday, July 5, 2020

Jeweled Cowl

This is another really oooolddd UFO in the knitting department.  So old that I don't even remember buying the yarn for it.  I am guessing I started this cowl back in 2012 as that is when I added the free pattern into my Ravelry account.  What I do remember about this pattern is that I bought a raspberry yarn with a multitude of beads  in varying colors, but I never started it because I didn't buy "lace" yarn which was required and it wouldn't fit into my beads.  So I have finally taken it off my "to-do" list where knitting is concerned.  Maybe someday I will find another raspberry/fuchsia yarn that will fit the bill.

Anyways, I think I started this is in 2012, ripped it out in 2016 when I picked it up again (was having problems understanding the pattern where the lacy section was introduced).  It still wasn't going well, so set it back down.

I've been knitting for awhile now and here in 2020 while I am trying to get a lot of my old projects finished (especially during quarantine), I figured I knew enough to pick it up again and NOT put it down again until it was done.

Ripped it out again and started fresh.

There are nearly 300 beads added to the lacy section.  


I have to admit that it still isn't perfect.  Working with lace weight yarn  was like working with water .....the yarn just seemed to slip from my fingers and/or needles and to have to rip back on the lace pattern was nearly impossible to figure out where I was; but I was not going to give up this time around 



I wove in all my loose threads and "fixed' a couple holes that should NOT have been there.  This time around, it is a good enough.   Done is better than letting it linger in a box any longer.  

It is being blocked.


As soon as I get it off the blocking boards, I will consider trying it on, but in 90* plus weather, it is going to be hard to put on a wool (even though it is lace and light as a feather) cowl .....even for pictures.  

Well, darn.......lost electricity while I was writing this post.  With the "new" blogger, I am no longer able to edit and save for a later date, so you will have to wait until tomorrow (or when it is cooler to see me model the finished project).  

It's tomorrow morning and before the temperatures got into the 90s again, got DH to take a pic.  Then I had to finagle around Blogger to get the latest picture on an already saved post.  They sure don't make things easier when they do their upgrades.  

Anyways, here is the cowl double wrapped.  It is very lightweight.  


Now I swear I am putting the knitting needles away for awhile.  






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Congrats on the finish! As soon as it gets cooler, I'm pulling out my crochet scarf and finishing it. It started out as a knit scarf, but I wanted it finished in my lifetime lol and ripped it out and started over with a crochet pattern. When I bought the yarn I didn't know what I was doing and bought a thin yarn and it was going too slow for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! AND it reminds me of one of my favorite sweaters ever: a pale gray lace knit sweater with a loose cowl.

    You have something to look forward to when cool weather comes!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...