Saturday, December 16, 2017

Things are as usual.....

On a previous post I mentioned not being able to work on just one thing.  Here is one of the reasons that this happens.

My grandson requested a Harry Potter scarf.  Who can say no to a grandson?
Well, that's how it goes.



The kids and their mom were doing some plastic canvas crafts and there was a lot of yarn left over from one of them; AND the kids had just seen me working on my aquamarine hat the other day.  I think that is what peaked the interest of  my daughter's middle child, Cameron, to ask if I could make a scarf with these leftover yarns.



I haven't worked with acrylic yarn in a very long time and this stuff just "rolled" as it came off the needles.


 So on completing the body of the scarf, I soaked it in cool water for several minutes, squeezed out the water and stretched it out on my blocking boards to dry.


That didn't work, so I then put it on the ironing board and put a damp cloth on top of it and steamed it. 

It's still curling.  So, I think I am either going to take it to my daughter who has a steamer or I will run it to the cleaners and see if they will steam press it into submission.  

For now, red and gold fringe is made and added to the ends; and another project is complete.  He will get this for Christmas.  I am sure he will be completely happy with it.

(even the cleaners couldn't get this to stop rolling)


Anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?

While knitting away on this scarf, the FedEx man came to my door with my new present to ME!


Yes, I ordered an AccuQuilt cutter for myself.  I had used my friend's a while back and was in awe how quickly you could cut out all the necessary pieces for a quilt.  (they say it is 90% faster than cutting it out yourself and I believe them)  From there you could just sit and sew.  I really think cutting out a quilt is the most tedious part of quilting for me, plus it is getting harder and harder on the hands, arms and neck.

Anyways, here it is and I can't wait to use it.


First though, I have to complete getting the house ready for Christmas, but this gives me the incentive to hurry up.  

That's it for me right now.  Too many other pressing things to do right now.  Next time I post, I should have something to show again as there is some Christmas sewing going on and I have a quilt that needs quilting AND I have a sweater to complete, too.  

Always, too many things to do (or want to do).




1 comment:

  1. I can't understand why blocking the scarf didn't help. Did you get it to stop uncurling? The AccuQuilt cutter is a nice gift to yourself. Everyone I know who has one loves it!

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...