Skip to main content

Rainbow Boxes

I am going to call this customer quilt Rainbow Boxes because I don't know the original name and because she used a plethora of scrappy fabrics in creating these beautiful rainbow colored blocks.  

Fortunately for her, I didn't have anything on the machine when  she handed it over to me, so I loaded it right away and that evening I had probably two thirds of it quilted.  Now.....if it hadn't been Dream Cruise weekend on Woodward Ave in Detroit (my husband waits for this all year long), I probably would have had it done right away. to Woodward we went several nights this week and most of the day today (Saturday, the official day of Dream Cruise).  

So, upon coming home today after the Cruise, I decided to finish this one up.  

I used Black Glide thread on top and  black Fil-Tec on the bottom and used the pantograph called Ribbons and Roses.  I thought this was very appropriate as it is a bridal shower gift.  

So, it is all complete and ready to be given back to the customer in plenty of time for her to get the binding on for her shower.

Hopefully, I can get one of my quilts on the machine tomorrow.  The one I have planned is the last one on my "to be quilted" pile.  I do have a couple more that "should" be on that pile, but I am just not ready to do those yet as far as experience goes.  So, we will see what time allows.

Feels good to get another one off the machine though!


  1. Lovely quilt. I think the pattern (without the sashing) is from the book "Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles" by Margaret Rolfe. It is one of those very versatile blocks that is open to a myriad of variations.

    Lovely quilting too.

    1. Thank you anonymous. It was a fun quilt to work on. I love black quilts with color.

  2. Very pretty quilting design for this quilt!
    I wonder if the fabrics have any special memories for the bride or groom.
    I'm sure they'll cherish this gift.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!