Skip to main content

While I have had a few days free....

I mentioned that I finished Block #13 of the Cherry Trees a couple days prior to the next one being posted, so what have I been doing?  I have been trying to get a jump start on all those cherries that are in the border for this quilt.  So, I traced out a few 1" circles, cut them out with a seam allowance and have started doing the running stitch around them so that they can be drawn up into a perfect circle.

I just gathered up all  my reds and started tracing a few circles from each fabric.  I think there are close to 130 here and maybe just about half of them have the running stitch.  I was going to use my Perfect Circle templates to gather them on and press them, but there are only 4 - 1" templates and I am thinking that is going to take to much time, so I am thinking of ordering some paper templates from here....

My guess is that there are around 169 cherries needed for the border. I came up with that number by trying to count them from a very small picture of the full quilt, but it will be close enough.  I didn't want to be overwhelmed when it came down to making the borders and having to do 100s of cherries and 100s of leaves.   Ok...I am back to waiting for Block #14.


  1. 1" circles - seriously? I'll cheer you along from the sidelines .... (((HUGS)))

  2. I think leaving your cherries with a running stitch but not pulling it around a template may be a smart idea. If the circles are actually 1.25" you will be prepared. You are so far ahead of me. Well done.

  3. Now, that's planning ahead! You go, Girl!!!

  4. Smart move! Next break, leaves?

  5. Reading about making all those cherries. Hmm--I usually use money as a template. A quarter is about right, if I need a bit bigger one, I have some $1 coins. the only problem is keeping my husband from robbing my quarters!

    The coffee dyeing--oh it looked very dark and lots of grounds--but there were almost 14yds of fabric in that tub. My fabric came out a very very light brown--but it has more warm brown tint to it, not the yellow some off whites have. I think its about right for that aged look. Who knows, may plop the entire quilt in for a swim when I'm done!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Checkerboard quilt

One more day before the end of the year and I was hoping to get just one more quilt finished for 2017.

I got this pattern from a blog called The Painted Quilt .  If you go to her blog and  under the free patterns go to "Stopped Me In My Tracks" quilt,  you can have the pattern, too.  
I did get this one quilted today using the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan pantograph.

Personally, I wish I owned the Circle Lord  mechanism that I could attach to my Millenium that would have given me "perfect" arcs, but once I finished the whole quilt, I am pretty pleased with the end results.  
I had purchased a big gingham check in yellow and white for the backing.

It's not a perfect match to the front which is done in Kona daffodil and a creamy white, but the whole quilt speaks Spring/Summer, warmth, brightness to me; and here in Michigan with our sub zero weather right now, that sounds really good to me.  
Anyways, I am hoping to get the binding attached tomorrow (New Year's Eve…

Disappearing Hourglass

This quilt came about when I was going through my stash (trying to destash, actually) and I came across a layer cake.  I did some research on-line looking for something to make with a layer cake.
I have discussed the whole process of making the disappearing hourglass here.
A couple fabrics were added to get enough blocks to get my 6 x 7 blocks and then I ordered another April Cornell fabric for the main border.
I added a small white border to finish off the outside of the blocks.

Then the deep periwinkle fabric was used for the outer border and one of the blocks, too. 

The top is complete.

A green dot fabric was purchased for the backing.

I put it on the longarm and I used another new-to-me panto called Venice.

It looks great on the fabric, too.  

Binding is the same as the final border.
The quilt is complete, binding and all.

Another finish.....yeah!!!

First project for 2018 is complete.....

Since I am sitting here recovering from surgery, I made sure I had some hand projects to keep me busy for a week or so.
The first one completed is my yellow checkerboard quilt. The binding was machine stitched on the day before surgery with the idea that I would hand stitch it down after.  
So, here is #1 for 2018.

Not much yellow thread to spare, but sure glad I had yellow at all.  
There are a couple knit projects to work on; and if I feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine, I have some blocks that need to be put into a top, but we will see.
For now, I am healing and just glad there are things to keep me occupied if the need arises. 

Happy Quilting!