Monday, January 25, 2010

It's been a quilty week...

Wow! Almost all of last week was quilt related. I finished my second BOM (Beyond the Cherry Trees Album Quilt). I am so ready to start the next block.



On Tuesday, my friends and I attended our guild (Metro Detroit Quilt Guild) and our featured speaker was Edyta Sitar from Laundry Basket Quilts and a Moda fabric designer. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of her, but she had 100 quilts to show that went along with her great story about how she came to be a quilter. Here are just a few of her beautiful quilts.
The first two resulted from a half square triangle exchange. Yikes! Those were small.

Then here are a couple of her applique quilts.
Then she had this beautiful New York Beauty AND a pineapple quilt, too
She is a very enjoyable speaker and her quilts are fabulous!
Then on Thursday night, my friends (the Quilty chicks) aka Sharon and Nancy attended another guild (Cameo Quilt Guild) to see Gwen Marston. She had a great talk and had plenty of her liberated quilts to show, too. I got myself a couple of her books and they are now signed, too
Then on Friday we took one of her classes....Abstract Quilts in Solids. Kind of reminiscent of the Amish quilts, but with a twist.
Here's Gwen!
Anyways, the class was pretty much no patterns, no rules, no nothing. A little hard for me since I am such a perfectionist (a fault at times!?!), but I got into it a little slowly but was raring to go by the end of the class. Hated to see it end.
Here we are....Sharon, our resident liberated gal, Nancy who is very thoughtful about what she designs(her Greek Key), Gwen and me...the perfectionist managing quite nicely with the beginnings of my "liberated" quilt.
Sure wish every week could be this quilty!

5 comments:

  1. Loving block #2! Great work. This quit is go ing to be one of your new faves, I think. It's going to be one of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 2nd block is wonderful. All the pictures from the guild makes me wish I had taken my camera. Don't forget, we need to finish the liberated pieces we started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your BOM is coming along nicely - very pretty and oh so perfect as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is so beautiful Faye, but I LOVE that you are stepping out of the box a little -- the block you made at the class is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Gwen Marston and am envious you got to take a class with her! Nice piece getting out of your comfort zone. COme by and visit my blog sometime. Em

    ReplyDelete

Michigan quilters, take note

  Come see us at our first Quilter's to Quilter's sale.   Don't know what that is?  Well, it will be 28 quilters/vendors selling...