Food for thought.

Memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Should've, could've, didn't.

I started this quilt in 2006. Rows were put together back then.

This was August 27, 2006


Sounds awful, doesn't it?  or does it sound familiar?

I collected 2000 different fabrics for this 1" thimble quilt by going through my stash, going through my friends' stashes and even picking garbage at quilt retreats.  For some reason, I got it in my head that a "charm quilt" had to have 2000 pieces.  That was back in 2006.  I no longer believe that and know better now.  

But, let's come back to 2015.  I decided now was the time to get this quilt done.  
It was all hand pieced ( my own personal challenge), so back in February 2015 I pieced the rows together.



Then I went shopping for a border.  The border is, also, hand pieced with straight lines at the top and bottom and the sides were actually appliqued to the border as they still had the thimble shape.  I didn't want to cut them straight for fear that I would cut my knots.


You can see some closeups here where I was appliquing the sides to the border.  

I decided I wanted this quilted using the Baptist Fan.  I just knew if I waited until I had the time or the energy to "hand quilt" this quilt, it would be another umpteen years before it got done.  

So, since I wanted perfection (another one of my downfalls I suppose), I didn't want to try it on my longarm with just a stencil  or a panto and didn't want to purchase the several hundred dollar mechanism called Circle Lord that would give me the effect that I wanted,  I sent it off to my friend Ruthie who owns the Circle Lord.  

I got it back from her the other day.



I was searching my stash for a good "burnt red" for the binding.  I found the perfect fabric, but  no way did I think I had enough for the binding (I usually only buy a 1/4 yard or else yardage), but just for the heck of it I figured out how many strips I needed and did the math and lo and behold, I did have enough.  I didn't have to go on the search for the perfect color and fabric for my binding at the local quilt stores.


I sewed it down that same night and took it to my mom's to hand stitch down while sitting with her.  

Here is the finished project, front and back.



So, I say, I should have hand quilted this one only because it deserved it what with the whole quilt being hand pieced.  I could have done it, but then "would I" in the next decade?  Obviously, I didn't; but I can say I have another UFO done and I am happy with that. 


Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Still looking for handwork.....

......for while I am sitting with my mom who is in hospice; and still needing handwork to keep me busy during the long hours at  my mom and dad's apartment. 

Dad asked me to fix the two twin-sized quilts that my mom made back in 1998.  




Both of them have been used on their beds probably since the day she made them and they were getting pretty frayed at the edges. 

You can see here that she brought the front of the quilt to the back for her binding and with it being only a single layer, it didn't take much to wear right through.  



I released the hand stitching on the back  of just one of them and the binding literally fell off.  

I had a couple of free hours the other day, so ran to a quilt shop that I knew had a variety of solids and found a blue that matched pretty closely. 

Here is the first repaired quilt.  



The second one has some major stains on it, so I am trying to remove them before working on the binding; but I have to say that hand stitching the binding down at my folk's place sure helped to pass the time a little more quickly AND I felt some accomplishment at getting at least one of their quilts repaired.  

Now...if I can just get the stains out of the second one, I will have another binding to work on.  



Sunday, November 8, 2015

No more unlucky 13......


I had to make #14 because I miscalculated or whatever you want to call it and didn't make the correct number of black background cats.  So, this "tiger" cat is #14. 


He takes the place of this one with the orange background. 


Here are the final 6 black backgrounds.


Here are the final 7 orange backgrounds.  



Since this one is a bit too busy for a label, it may end up being a Halloween pillow or something like that.  


Now I am excited to go on the hunt for the rest of the fabrics that I will need to complete this quilt.  

But....before I can get to the store to start looking, I will be doing some more applique while sitting with my mom.  We'll just have to wait and see what that is.  

I can't remember when  I have had this much time on  my hands and not be near my sewing machine or my "stuff".  



Saturday, November 7, 2015

Meeeooowwww......

Big dots. 


Big stars


Checks and stars


Double stars


Double stripes. 


Stars and stripes


Little dots


I needed my 13 cats and here they are, but apparently the unlucky 13 has hit.  


I think I am supposed to have 6 black backgrounds and 7 orange backgrounds.  

Guess I will have to figure out which one I did wrong  and make a new one.  

Oh well.  One of them will just have to be my label on the back of the quilt.  

With lots of time on my hands at my mom's, it has allowed me to get these done.  I'll make myself a new cat and then have to prep some more applique for another quilt.  

Happy Quilting!