Food for thought.

Memory is a wonderful treasure chest for those who know how to pack it.

Friday, March 26, 2010

# 6 Cherry Tree block is DONE!!!


Stems and leaves went on quickly, but then there were the layered flowers.  Oh boy!  I did add more greens to my stash, so they are incorporated in this block, too.


What a difference making a flower.  You make a leaf and sew it on and then the space it filled.


But, when it came to the flowers, it seemed like you sewed and sewed and sewed and then once the flower was done, you only filled one little space. 


So, the flowers were much more time consuming.  Then....

there was the bird. Hmph!  I did not enjoy sewing him down.  Too many tiny crooks and crannies, but he is done and not as perfectly as he should have or could have been done. Never know....he might just fly away one of these days. Not sure anyone would miss him.


But I do have to say the block turned out pretty good overall and again, I have time to spare, so I am going to look for the next UFO to work on BEFORE the next block becomes available. 

So.....happy quilting!

Friday, March 19, 2010

National Quilting Day....

was celebrated a day and a half early here.  My quilty chics and I (mini group) got together for a quilt-a-thon starting Thursday night through Friday evening at Sharon's "second home".    We made it until 3:00 a.m Friday morning before we finally had to head off to bed. 

I am almost afraid to post pictures of this quilt as it is another applique quilt and I need another one of those like I need another hole in my head, but my green strips for the border have been pinned to my design wall for longer than I can remember.  This is a pattern out of the book Winter Rose by Barbara Brandeburg called Winter Botanical and I have had fabrics pulled for this for eons.  Can't promise that I will get to this anytime soon, but all the pieces (other than the applique pieces) are cut out and ready to go.  I even got some of the striped border pieced and cut out. 

Also, decided to use the excess triangles that resulted from the Merry-Go-Round quilt that I did  this past summer and cut out alternating white triangles and it resulted in a baby quilt.  May add a border, but not quite sure yet.  Can you find my "humility block"?

Also, pieced a binding for a quilt and worked a little on my #6 Cherry Tree block.

Now Sharon (whose house we were at) had tons of things up on her design wall...layer upon layer.\
Gwen Marston block; Hawaiian applique blocks (underneath); 9-path; Snow; and table runner. 

Isn't this one turning out cute?!!
Sharon worked on getting this one to this border.  There is still supposed to be another border with appliqued veins and leaves.   She has been my inspiration for red and green quilts. 

Then there is Nancy with her 9-patches.
She was going gunho on making her 9-patches and this is the result of some of them. 

All-in-all, we had a pretty successful 24+ hours with very little sleep.  I think we all need days like this. 

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Starting block #6

The pattern for block #6 was posted a couple days early, but I waited until I had my Painted Daisy quilt and the toile quilt all ready for the quilter.  Tops are done and backing and batting are sewn and cut out respectively. 

I have the pattern printed and transferred to a master sheet for placement and just chose all my fabrics for each piece of the pattern.  There are a lot of pieces to this block.

I am in the process of cutting out each piece.


Next step will be to use a chalk pencil to draw the seam lines and then place each piece onto the background.  I am excited to work on each block and then anxious for the next one; but for now....it's time to get to stitching.

Happy stitching everyone!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Daisies

Well, I set myself a goal to have my "painted daisy" quilt top finished by the 10th.  My last post on the blocks showed a layout that was from the original pattern, but I changed it out a bit.

What I did was make some  mirror images of the original block to start with and alternated them.  Then I laid them out in the design that I had in my mind's eye.  By the way, the blocks finish out at 9 1/2". 

 A year and a half ago, along with all the black and white fabrics(other than the three that I was short and had to pull from my stash), the chartreuse and the yellow center, I purchased this great dasiy fabric for the border.


Then tonight after work, I ran to the quilt shop in town to see what I could find for a backing and found the best daisy fabric.  It even has yellow centers like the appliqued blocks.  It was made for it and it took me all of five minutes in the store to decide it was perfect.



So......I made my goal and even one day early by getting my top all done.  I did have to piece the heck out of my chartreuse fabric to get the 1" inside border, but that's ok.  At least it all matches. 


This is "my" painted daisy quilt and since I made a few changes from the original pattern, I am going to have to come up with an original name for it; but HEY!!!  it's done!!!!